The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have my heart set on this tank being setup for shrimp so heres my specs/params so could someone advise me if this is suitable and any changes if needs.I'm not hugely bothered about breeding at the moment but I would like to in the future.I would like to keep cherry/tiger/CRS etc

Thanks!

Glass tank 24" x 8" x 8"
Duetto DJ 50 filter (possibly changed/altered to make the tank baby shrimp friendly)
Visitherm heater
Flourescent tube with reflector(getting a better tube)
DIY CO2 (not hooked up at the moment)

Flora

Florabase as a substrate
Java moss
Riccia
Dwarf hairgrass
Pygmy chain sword
NZ Grass

Fauna

5 Pygmy cories
1 Dwarf rasbora(adding about another 5)
1 Male endler(will be rehomed soon)
10 Shrimp (sold as rainbow shrimp)
Lots of MTS

PH - 6.6
GH - 3 dGH
KH - 2 dKH
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 12.5 mg/l
Ammonia - 0

Heres some pics.

Some of the inhabitants

·
Registered
428 Posts
Your layout looks really nice. Some of those fish are going to eat any baby cherry shrimp you get. The rasboras and the endlers are not a good idea with the shrimp. I have cories with shrimp and they are OK. What do you mean by NZ grass? Where the heck is all that tubing going?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your layout looks really nice. Some of those fish are going to eat any baby cherry shrimp you get. The rasboras and the endlers are not a good idea with the shrimp. I have cories with shrimp and they are OK. What do you mean by NZ grass? Where the heck is all that tubing going?
Hi thanks yeh I was thinking that but I was hoping to move any baby shrimp/berried females to another tank but I dont mind rehoming the rasbora(the endler is going anyway).The plant was sold as New Zealand grass(similar to hairgrass).The tubing is actually wires for the light I just have not got round to hiding it(will do when I get the bigger tube).

·
Registered
194 Posts
shrimp tank

Very nice tank for shrimp,looks great. but did you know that your mts's will become about a thousand in a short time.i have a couple of dozen rasbora's and lots of cardinal's in a 55 gal tank and cherry's still exist.they get a few baby's once in a while,but as fast as cherries proliferate its of no biggy deal.
regards,cornhusker

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice tank for shrimp,looks great. but did you know that your mts's will become about a thousand in a short time.i have a couple of dozen rasbora's and lots of cardinal's in a 55 gal tank and cherry's still exist.they get a few baby's once in a while,but as fast as cherries proliferate its of no biggy deal.
regards,cornhusker
Thanks man so does my water params sound ok for the shrimp, I really want cherries but im not sure if my water will be too soft.I have crushed coral that I could put in my filter to harden it a bit.Yeh I started with half a dozen MTS about 2 years ago now I have them in all my tanks and have given many away.I will remove them as they get out of hand but just now they are doing ok.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My cherries are in a 55g with a pH of approx 6.2-6.4 and they are breeding like.... well, cherries. ::Shrugs:: IMHO they do pretty well in just about most water conditions. I have them in various tanks with different stats based on the fish they are in with and they are doing fine. Stay away from fish that can fit them into their mouths and you will be fine. Smaller barbs, danios, minnows (white clouds), neon tetras, endler's, guppies, smaller rainbows, threadfins, I've got cherries in with all of em and they are still outproducing being eaten. ::Smiles::

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My cherries are in a 55g with a pH of approx 6.2-6.4 and they are breeding like.... well, cherries. ::Shrugs:: IMHO they do pretty well in just about most water conditions. I have them in various tanks with different stats based on the fish they are in with and they are doing fine. Stay away from fish that can fit them into their mouths and you will be fine. Smaller barbs, danios, minnows (white clouds), neon tetras, endler's, guppies, smaller rainbows, threadfins, I've got cherries in with all of em and they are still outproducing being eaten. ::Smiles::
Thanks man that has given me a big confidence boost.

What do you think to me putting very fine mesh over the intake of the filter to stop babies getting sucked in or would I be better with a small powerhead and a sponge over the intake?An air driven filter is not an option as the tank is in my bedroom.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use a rough sponge over my powerhead, however I have lots of Dwarf Sag and Java on the ground for the babies to hide in.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a rough sponge over my powerhead, however I have lots of Dwarf Sag and Java on the ground for the babies to hide in.
Once the plants grow in a bit I think there will be plenty of hiding places.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like you should be good to go. If you have problems with the sponge, you can always switch it out later as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you should be good to go. If you have problems with the sponge, you can always switch it out later as well.
Thanks man, so do you think I should stick to the rainbows and cherrys or try bumblebee/bee/CRS etc?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I like shrimp... Honestly what species of shrimp you decide upon is ultimately up to you. However, I recommend if you go with CRS that you do a species only tank. Other shrimp simply will outbreed, outeat, and pretty much out anything when it comes to competition. I tried my CRS with RCS and am ending up where I am going to need to set up a different tank for my CRS so they can actually breed. But if just going for looks, I say put anything that won't crossbreed together unless you want hybrids that is.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Thanks man that has given me a big confidence boost.

What do you think to me putting very fine mesh over the intake of the filter to stop babies getting sucked in or would I be better with a small powerhead and a sponge over the intake?An air driven filter is not an option as the tank is in my bedroom.
I would use the mesh bag opposed to the sponge, you're guaranteed that there wont be any babies sucked up with the mesh bag but you're not guaranteed that same thing with the sponge.

I would try to keep fish and shrimp separate, but if you insist on fish dwarf corries and ottos are your only REAL safe choice, some threadfin rainbows might be fine as well... but don't even bother with barbs, they will terrorize your shrimp to death. Also remember, fish = stress on shrimp(generally).

-Andrew

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would use the mesh bag opposed to the sponge, you're guaranteed that there wont be any babies sucked up with the mesh bag but you're not guaranteed that same thing with the sponge.

I would try to keep fish and shrimp separate, but if you insist on fish dwarf corries and ottos are your only REAL safe choice, some threadfin rainbows might be fine as well... but don't even bother with barbs, they will terrorize your shrimp to death. Also remember, fish = stress on shrimp(generally).

-Andrew
Thanks no there wont be any barbs going in there.I already have 4 ottos, 5 pygmy corys and 1 dwarf rasbora (smallest of all cyprinids) and I would like a few more rasboras but thats it.I dont think i'll be able to find CRS but I know I can get cherries and bumblebees.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Thanks no there wont be any barbs going in there.I already have 4 ottos, 5 pygmy corys and 1 dwarf rasbora (smallest of all cyprinids) and I would like a few more rasboras but thats it.I dont think i'll be able to find CRS but I know I can get cherries and bumblebees.
Sounds like a nice group! I really wanted to say that so people don't all the sudden go out and buy some barbs for their tank... Anyone ever look to see all the guests there are usually? At least 300 at minimum on a weeknight, more on weekends...

-Andrew

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Never really liked barbs, always nipping at the other fish.Only ones I never had a problem with were zebra barbs, they were very well behaved but did live with large aggressive cichlids.

Only problem with putting a sponge or bag over my filter intake is that I have to use something else to diffuse my CO2.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts