The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be setting up a 180g tank in the future, and I was wondering what you guys have used as return pumps in the past, I am looking for 1200-1300 GPH for $150

·
Registered
215 Posts
When I setup my tank, I started with a Danner Mag Drive 7.5 - it worked fine but was way too loud for my purposes, and I ended up switching to a Sicce Syncra 3.0. I'm really happy with the Sicce, it's effectively silent - I can't hear it over the trickle of water going through the emergency standpipe in my Herbie overflow. It looks like you would be looking at either the Sicce Syncra 5.0, which is a bit over your price range, or the Danner Mag Drive 12, which isn't.

When I did my research to replace the Mag Drive, my second choice was the Eheim Compact series. It looks like the Compact 5000 would fit your needs and is a little cheaper than the Sicce.

-Justin

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I setup my tank, I started with a Danner Mag Drive 7.5 - it worked fine but was way too loud for my purposes, and I ended up switching to a Sicce Syncra 3.0. I'm really happy with the Sicce, it's effectively silent - I can't hear it over the trickle of water going through the emergency standpipe in my Herbie overflow. It looks like you would be looking at either the Sicce Syncra 5.0, which is a bit over your price range, or the Danner Mag Drive 12, which isn't.

When I did my research to replace the Mag Drive, my second choice was the Eheim Compact series. It looks like the Compact 5000 would fit your needs and is a little cheaper than the Sicce.

-Justin
How loud is it? This will be an in-wall aquarium, so is it audible through a layer of drywall?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I just went thru this for my 180 gallon and after a lot of research I went with a DC pump. It's rated at 1600 gallons. Your head height will have lot to do with how much water you get returned. It rated at 150 watts and you can vary the speeds. It is super quiet and creates very little heat. I had it running now for about 4 months so I can't give much more than what other people have been running them for about 3 years. I bought it on amazon there made in china. (surprise)

·
Registered
215 Posts
How loud is it? This will be an in-wall aquarium, so is it audible through a layer of drywall?

The Mag7 I had would have been audible as a low hum through drywall, yes. That being said, it is the type of noise that you would get used to; after a while, you might not notice it was there until you turned it off. The Mag7 is the largest of the series with the smaller volute design, the 9.5, 12, 18, and 24 have a different design, which may or may not be quieter. I just want to throw the information out there because I was a little frustrated with how much noise the Mag7 made after scouring reviews and forum posts that all said it was really quiet - maybe I got a dud, or maybe my standards are different. My sump is located in a wood cabinet (behind a thin panel) under the display tank in my living room, so not very well isolated and in a quiet part of the house. The Sicce pump is noticeably quieter. Also, DC pumps are inherently more efficient and quieter, The Jebao DC pumps seem to get good reviews.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.