The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so intrigued by the two guys that have been documenting their Amano breeding/raising adventures, but am not quite bold enough to go that route yet. I would, however, be willing to give nerites a try. Has anyone done this and/or do you have information? I'm Googling, etc, but thought I'd ask here, also.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I'll correct Plamski a little bit. They don't need saltwater to BREED, they breed just fine in freshwater, hence why folks complain about their unsightly eggs all the time. The eggs however, won't hatch in freshwater so therein lies the problem. With that being said, they may breed BETTER in brackish water or more often, but they can breed in fresh. From just a quick glance on the ole internet (and you know how that goes, not always right) it sounds like the eggs need brackish water to hatch but once hatched they need to be moved to a full on marine/saltwater environment and once they become a wee bit older you move them back to brackish conditions or on to freshwater. You could do it on a REALLY small scale with just 2-3 small tanks (and heck, tupperware might work...lots of big tupperware out there;)).

It really sounds like a fun project...one I'd take on but I do good to keep something in freshwater alive....if I moved into saltwater surely my homicide rate would go up. LOL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts