The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am working on setting up a 5 gallon 'walstad' setup (I think this deviates slightly from walstad methodology) and wanted some suggestions on good startup plants to keep algae at bay until the tank matures (after which some of these plants would be replaced with more ornamental species). What are some good species for that task? I was thinking of guppy grass, vallisneria, and frogbit (I want to avoid hornwort due to its shedding tendencies, which would be counterproductive). Thanks :)

(PS...I was most likely going to use a 575 lumen, 2700K BR20 led for 4 hours on, 4 hours off, 4 hours on. I was also not going to dose any nitrate or phosphate, but was going to dose a small amount of iron and flourish excel over the week. Once the tank is set up it would receive 40% water changes every 4 weeks; during the 2 month setup period they would be as often as twice a week depending on ammonia and nitrite levels. Water change water will be dosed with enough calcium chloride dihydrate, epsom salt, and potassium bicarbonate to get KH and GH levels of 6 and 7 degrees minimum respectively).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.