The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been looking for a good subtate for a 120g tank Im setting up in the very near future. Its a 6' tank so I would like to do it the right way first.

I wasthinking of doing ADA AS but have been rethinking that. As I do love to redo my tanks. And I dont usually do it slowly. I also have MTS and loaches so I think it would end in a total mess
I currently have Eco and do like it but was looking for something else.

*It must be kind to loaches As I absolutly love my "kuhli gang"
*Im not looking for a cheap way out
*I want something that looks nice

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I am in the exact same dillema. Wanted black, was going to fork over the cash for AS (on a 240G clown loach tank). Tom Barr (and others too) said it would be one heck of a mess with AS and Clowns. So what type of loaches do you have? Something smaller like straita would probably be fine.

Most loaches love sand, and many have heavily planted tanks with sand before so I am probably going that route. You'll loose some of the spectacular growth from AS, but no biggie to me. The next thing would be color, and I've pretty much decided on black. LFS has Tahition Moon sand that is black but insanely expensive on a big tank. I am also thinking about the same for my 150G so I'll have to larger tanks to fill. So tentatively what I am thinking is 3M ColorQuartz, which is quartz sand (which I beleive is what Tahitian Moon sand is, along with pool filter sand), but it is individually ceramic coated to give it perfect color and a smooth spherical shape (great for loaches, and less possibility of compacting).

Take a look at http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Q9KzYsPDdaP0I8yizeINzUz1C_IcFQEAHTt83Y!
Check to see if there is a dealer by you. Their may or may not be. It varies in price by location, and my 1 ohio dealer isnt all that cheap but I still think cheaper than TMS (3M is $30/50#). Its a bit fine, (the S grade) but should suffice. The T grade is coarser, less spherical, and abrasive (not good for loaches). They have all sorts of colors. if you want the cheap way out just get pool filter sand. But I definatly would like the black 3M sand myself.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
3M colorquartz comes in 50# bags, I was referring to that when I was comparing it to TMS. I did a small edit to make that more clear in my above post.

If TMS isnt 'burrower safe' that makes 3M look even better. Its pretty much a done deal for me, I am just debating when to drive up there and if the price will be less for a bit more quantity, might try to put a local group buy together, but I am guessing I'd have to get a whole pallet for any kind of discount, will have to call em and see. Well the other option is to hope black fluorite becomes available soon, but they have been saying that for a while. I'd kinda like sand for the loaches anyhow though, but mine have been doing ok in fluorite so far (but they dont really dig into it, presumably because its rough).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.