The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Let me be more specific. I have never used or seen Osmocote, just read about it so please pardon my ignorance. I am looking for Osmocote - or is it Osmocote Plus that I am looking for?

I am looking for the Osmocote Plus capsules (? 00 capsules filled with Osmocote?) that I can slip into my substrate for fertilizing my rooting plants such as swords. I do not wish to get the 00 caps separately and fill them. In other words, it should be the readymade caps with the Osmocote in it :) . I just take the cap and shove it into the gravel like any root tab. Thx.

·
Planted Tanker
6,059 Posts
Osmocote Plus is the one you want. Walmart sells it.

Having it in gelcaps is neater than ice cubes, because it takes the cap a couple hours to start dissolving (just a guess, dont hold me too that 2 hours but you get the point). With ice cubes, if you're not rather quick putting it where you want it, some stray balls will start dropping out due to the ice melting. The balls sink, so they will be frozen on the very bottom side of the ice cube, not in the middle. It's not really a big deal, just be prepared to have to push a few stray balls down as well. Also, the fact they sink means they'll be lying on the bottom, not floating around or anything, so it's not difficult at all to bury a few strays.

Lots of people sell ready made gel caps on *bay, I believe there may be a user here that sells them as well. Could try using the search function on the sale/trade forum. Ive always just made them myself or used the ice cubes

·
Registered
879 Posts
It's far cheaper and very easy to make you own. Buy the Osmocote Plus from the big stores mentioned in this thread. Then go on the bay or amazon to get 00 gel caps. I got 1000 for about $12 shipped and will last me 1.5 -2 yrs in my 135gal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.