The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the planted aspect of aquaria and recently bought the following, which just arrived:
3 stems of limnophila aromatica
3-5 stems of bacopa australis
1 anubia petite
1 stem of corkscrew val
5-10 stems of najas grass

I was expecting a bit more, but wanted to check with those who know more than me before filing a complaint or whatever because maybe my expectations were just too high.

The aromatica size is fine and the bacopa is fine, the anubia is yellow and algae covered, the stem of corkscrew val is more like a plantlet and the stems of najas grass... can those be called stems? how about stubs?

Check the pic... quarter included for size reference.

comments/advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
It's a tough call in my mind. With some of the Internet vendors you have minimums (>$25), plus sizable S&H on top of that. So, to get several varieties of plants for $15 is not a terrible deal. Then again, if I had asked you for $15, I certainly would have included quite a bit more. Then again, with my time at a premium these days, the last few times I shipped off plants to fellow hobbiests, I really wondered if it was worth my time (which clearly on a $/hr basis it never has been...but for the 'goodwill' effect...).

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Minsc: it would be a nice piece of a nana petite if it weren't covered in algae.
BSS: can't really compare this to internet orders, this is from our own swap and shop.

When I buy stem plants at the LFS, they are a bunch of 3 stems each 8-12" for $2.99. I expected similar size here. Especially the naja grass... i don't see how you can call 2" nubs "stems." Looks more like what I'd throw away when cleaning my tank. And that corkscrew val? c'mon man...

I'll email him and see what's up. It is "fine" as is but definitely not worth + feedback and a repeat buyer I am not.

Thanks guys/gal

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yeah typically you see smaller stems with rare plants. But those are all common, the stems you recieve should be bigger than that. Typically I also include extras in my shipment to keep people happy. Yeah I agree the najas is really small. Also the corkscrew val. When someone says one corkscrew val it normally means more than a leaf and a half hahaha.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
$10+$5 shipping. i just meant that the quantities looked kinda small.
The quantities are right on... I don't see any reason for complaints. L. aromatica and A.n. petite are valuable plants, so $10 isn't a bad deal at all. Maybe we are all spoiled by give-aways and RAOKs.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you bought if from a retail place then I would say that it was fair.
Bought from a fellow hobbyist unless you asked for something that wasn't really available you kinda got ripped.

ROAK or not I couldn't charge a fellow hobbyist that enjoys it as much as I do for such petty helpings of scrap. I usually give away my trimmings which usually end up being about a gallon ziploc worth and usually just ask for some sort of plant trimming I don't have or snail treats and such jus to let both parties feel ok with goods being exchanged instead of just handouts.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
uhh ohh lol its from a member on this forum =\ yea i kinda seem a ripped off now since its coming from a member tell the him to mail you with a envelope with some more plants

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think it's all a matter of point of view. One person may feel that it's fair another may not. All it really comes down to is how do you feel? If you feel like you got ripped off then do something about it. Have you talked to the seller about fixing this?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.