The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get an algae eater or two that won't get eaten. Main duties would ideally be to keep plants and rocks clean. I don't expect miracles or anything, but just a little extra algae control would be nice. I currently have bridgesii apple snails and they need some help.

I'd prefer something 8" or under, temperature low 70s, medium current. Unaggressive. And if it'll fit in a large mouth, preferably something without spikes or with a keen sense of self-preservation. The "predators" are large goldfish and they will test bite-sized objects. (I just got my first otocinclus ever for another tank and they are soooooo cute and perfect except for the bite-sized and spiky part)

I'd appreciate any ideas on critters for me to research! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
SAE maybe?

Tommy

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I don't agree. the majority of Plecos are most useful for wood not plants.
any Farlowella is IMHO the best compromise between pleco's and otto's,
just be aware that they may be more active at night, and like otto's
try to get more than one as they do like having same species company.
Farlowella's are VERY docile, as they simply move on when harassed.
Don't worry about long finned Royal types if you have nippers as they
keep their fins down and folded most of the time. I prefer the non Royal
Farlowella's as they seem to stay sleeker and smaller, or around 4-6".
Since Farlowella's spend all their time on the sides and bottom of your
tank, their swimming habits won't conflict with your fancy goldfish.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. It appears that SAEs tend to be sort of hyperactive and may not play well with my big guys. And now that I think about it, I probably need something that keeps a low profile at least until it's big!

Ancistrus have a spotty reputation with goldfish keepers. But I do have a tank that could take in a rogue pleco should it go bad. And plecos don't swim most of the time which limits exposure to snacking.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder if I can find either around here!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.