The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sand Substrate

What is a cheap & good kind of Sand for goldfish, koi & plants?

1) playground sand – may cause cancer

2) all purpose sand – may cause cancer
may contain silicates & harmful dust

3) patio sand fine

4) patio sand coarse – may cause cancer

“pool filter sand is better to use than play sand. For one it will not effect your water parameters, where as some play sand will. Second pool filter sand is a larger grain then play sand,” (someone on plantedtank.net)

This is $10/50 lb @ a pool store?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Well that's the first time I've ever heard of sand in the fish tank causing cancer! Many people in my local club just go out to landscaping stores and buy bulk sand, generally the slightly courser than sugar grain size, and it works well. If it has ever caused cancer, well, I have no clue.

Whatever you buy, rinse it well before you use it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the package says : may contain chemicals that may cause cancer.
What is landscaping store, like homedump?

My post was meant to be a question

I might just go to lowe z & get the coarse sand…

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I've used playground sand from lowes and neither I, not my fish have or have had any noticeable cancer.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
dude, you live in california... go to the beach and get some same.. oh wait... the beaches there are medical waste dumping grounds and will cause cancer.

get sand blast sand. if you're worried about chemicals, soak and rinse the sand....a lot. Sand don't absord chemicals.

and don't mix goldfish and plants.. you know that goldfish eat plants right?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I've used playground sand from lowes and neither I, not my fish have or have had any noticeable cancer.
LOL, now I'm thinking... All those kids in playgrounds playing in sandboxes you haven't seen them get banned yet have you?

I think sand is sand.. Wash it and you should be fine

-Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts