The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

In cleaning out my tank today I found these two "volunteer" snails.

I have brown algae for which I have a couple of Nerite.

So I have a couple of questions:

1) what kind of snails are they? The one has a very "traditional" round snail shell, and the other has an elongated shell. The elongated shell one also has a long tail or maybe called a foot, idk.

2) are they good guys or bad guys for eating algae?

3) are they good guys or bad guys towards eating plants? I'm mostly concerned about them eating my plants!

Thanks for whatever help you are able to give!!!

Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had a few of these show up in my tank out of no where recently as well. Friend said they were just pond snails and harmless for the most part. As far as I know they just eat dead stuff and not plants. I'm no expert though just going of what ive heard.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have pond snails in all my tanks and am glad to have them.

They are sometimes also called bladder snails.

In my tank they increased in numbers very fast at first, and then leveled off just as fast.

I can usually see around 10-15 in my at a time and it has been this way for 2 years now.

I think they are pretty, and it's really neat to see them glide across the surface of the water upside down.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went to the local fish shop today, and got three more snails (no shrimp).

two Zebra Nerites (a total of five now) and one red/pink striped Ramshorn

so we have the entire Flinstone Family of snails, Wilma is the Ramshorn because their hair-dos match :D

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
two more Nerites (this time Zebras) and a pink/red striped Ramshorn, making a total of six.

We now have the entire Flinstone Family, with Wilma as the pink/red striped Ramshorn and the Nerite with a bright blue spot at the top of her shell is Betty :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
maybe a dumb question..but do the shrimp eat the snails?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.