The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble getting a decent carpet started. I've tried hairgrass, stauryne reopens and baby tears. I have several clown loaches, assorted other loaches, panda gara, corys, etc that like to poke around for food and constantly uproot small plants before they get rooted. I've tried an additional sand cap and surrounding them with larger pebbles with no success.

The only thing that stays is anubias but it gets algae, I think I have too much light. I have about 2 watts, 6700K/gallon, CO2, micro/macro ferts.

Any ideas? What about glosso?

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you can't keep the hargrass, stauro, and HC down, glosso will be no easier. Wrapping a small plant weight around a clump of them might allow them to get rooted. Another option would be to get some stainless steel mesh, and push the stems through that and bury it slightly.

It could just be that your fish are too boisterous to do a plant carpet.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
If you can't keep the hargrass, stauro, and HC down, glosso will be no easier. Wrapping a small plant weight around a clump of them might allow them to get rooted. Another option would be to get some stainless steel mesh, and push the stems through that and bury it slightly.

It could just be that your fish are too boisterous to do a plant carpet.
I disagree. If you can get a long of strand, the leaves them selves will serve as an anchor. The only problem is that if your fish are biting at it and pulling up, not, as it seems, just bumping into them. Then again, staurogyne would probably better at that then glosso...

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
you cant keep them down cause loaches and corrys like to dig so unless you pull them out and plant and put them back once the forground is filled in well you prob wont have one at all cause all they are going to do is dig them up.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking about a moss on slate or established glosso or such on thin piece of driftwood.
Good ideas. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts