The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I can use the dirty fish water to water my outdoor plants or does the chemicals used to conditioner the water such as PRIME make the water not good for outdoor plants/trees?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I use mine to water the wifes outdoor plants. Its good for them actually it seems.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I haven't tried outdoor plants, but my houseplants love getting the fish water. When I remember to do it consistently for a while I can definitely see a difference.
Besides, you're growing plants in your tank, there really shouldn't be anything that plants out of the tank would object to.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't tried outdoor plants, but my houseplants love getting the fish water. When I remember to do it consistently for a while I can definitely see a difference.
Besides, you're growing plants in your tank, there really shouldn't be anything that plants out of the tank would object to.
Do you use Prime to treat your tap water before you put it in the aquarium?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Good to know, our tomatoes and peppers seem to be struggle. I'll be using the fish water on them this year.
I should preface this by saying our municipal water at that location only required dechlorinator, and was fine for watering plants by itself, but if the water in your tanks are growing plants and the fish are healthy, I don't see why it should be any worse for garden watering/fertilizing.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I was wondering if I can use the dirty fish water to water my outdoor plants or does the chemicals used to conditioner the water such as PRIME make the water not good for outdoor plants/trees?

Thanks.
Do you use Prime to treat your tap water before you put it in the aquarium?

You seem to be worried about the Prime. Its perfectly fine. Lots of people use their old fishtank water for plants, lawns, etc. With or without dechlorinator; with or without any other added "chemical" added to the tank. There is not much that a fish can live in that will end up killing a plant! The nitrates that we're looking to remove from a fish tank is excellent fertilizer for plants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.