The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Aquatic Life - 6 light T5 HO. It comes with bulbs that are inappropriate for a planted tank ( 3 10k and 3 Blue actinic ) Tank is 75g with co2 what bulbs would you recommend?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Even 2 bulbs should be enough for most anything. I have a 2 bulb fixture over my 80g and it's definitely a lot of light. Heavy CO2 and fertilization required.

The only reason I would get a 6 bulb was if I was going to convert it to saltwater one day.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is what I have and is a well-built unit. This fixture has three lamps (3x54w t5 HO), but running all three at the same time is an algae farm waiting to happen, unless ferts and CO2 are plentiful. I only use 2 of the 3 lamps in my current setup. Catalina Aquarium is a great outfit, but there are other excellent vendors out there. I'm a bit of a shrewd shopper, so spending any more than $200 on a fixture is far too much for my goals. Other units have fans, timers, and sleek styling, but for a substantial increase in cost.

A six lamp fixture - like the one you mentioned - is far too much in terms of price and amount of light. Blue actinic bulbs are generally not used in plant-keeping as the wavelength is underutilized in photosynthesis. Bulbs that are typically used in plant-keeping range from 5000-10000 Kelvin. I use 2 @6.5k and 1 @10k.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have a Nova Extreme 4x39 over a 57 gallon tank. Even running 2 bulbs was alot of work so I am experimenting running 1 bulb right now. I blast CO2 on a timer and am dosing PPS Pro. If I were to redo the purchase, I would go with what Pooch suggested. It has three bulbs and two switches so that would be good if you wanted to experiment with a noon burst. I have heard they will even make their 3x54 watt into a 3x39 watt version for people with 3 ft tanks. the price cant be beat for what you get.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When you run more than one bulb, do you time it so that one bulb comes on first then the other so as to avoid shocking the fish? Also, do you use moon lights?
Short answer, No. I have never been witness to a sun-stunned fish. Further, I hate dilly-dinking around with timers to simulate a sunrise/sunset. Generally speaking I'm at work or passed out on the couch when these events occur.... Moon lights are nice, but I don't own any yet.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I use a four bulb Catalina supplied fixture on my 90g. I run 4x T5NO (not HO) in it and find I have to trim stems back that grow 6-12" a week with that level of light, EI and good CO2.

At night for viewing after the photo period I turn off one bank and just use 2x T5NO which is more pleasant in the generally dimmer room at that time of day.

The Catalina Solar fixture runs either HO or NO at the proper level with a ballast per bulb.

Good luck

Jim

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jim, I checked your blog...NICE TANK:drool: The vid was awesome in HD. So, when you drop to two lights, you aren't seeing any algae problems developing? I presume you shut down your CO2 when you kill the first bank of lights.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Photo-Shock is a very real thing in Fishworld. This is the fishy version of a Traffic COP sticking that flashlight in your eyeballs at 10pm.while he asks, "How are you tonight"...I was good until you fried my eyes.

A window near by with the the drapes open(even a little) will fix the sunrise. Room light on after the tank lights go out works on the other end.

You can get away with a little more in planted tanks vs, bare breeding tanks. Do to cover/hiding places.

Moonlight/dawn dusk lighting is a pretty cool addition to watch behavior changes in Fish/Inverts.

·
Registered
531 Posts
@Razor: Thanks for the tank drool! ;-) I was shocked at how good the vid turned out as well.

No algae problems due to lighting. I did get a nasty BBA infestation on my wood but that was due to inattention to CO2 for a couple of months. Its dying off now that I'm treating it with Excel and have the CO2 smokin'. CO2 goes off when I drop the light level. It doesn't go away immediately however as it takes a good long time for it to coast down. I find my drop checker pretty green/blue even the next morning before the lights come on. I think that's due to remaining CO2 in my reactor since the flow through it is a bit insufficient. I plan on increasing that when I get "arountuit".

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.