The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of stocking my 20 gal long and wanted some opinions on the choices! Was afraid of overstocking but I know it has more to do with how the filtering and space is handled.

1 Juvenile BGK (about 3 inches long atm and I plan to move it to a 100 gallon in the next couple of years since they grow slowly)
4 Emperor Tetras
5 Black Emperor Tetras
8 Emerald Dwarf Rasboras (give or tank, I plan to leave some in my 10 gallon)
5 Corydora (4 bronze and 1 older albino female)
20 or more Cherry Shrimp

Current group that I want to move: The one albino corydora is because she came from a bad batch and was the only survivor. She's been pretty good on her own for the last four months, even laying unfertilized eggs EVERYWHERE a while back. She's about 2 1/2 inches. My rasboras have been having babies off and one for the last month or so, I wanna leave some (or all) in the 10g to let them continue breeding. 9 babies of various ages atm! 17 adult cherry shrimp (2 are Jade Green) that have had innumerable babies. I'm guessing there are 40+ at this point

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like it will be a cool tank- I would consider this fully stocked and achievable with the right filtration and hopefully lots of plants. Personally, I would choose two of these three groups/ species you mention: 9 tetras, 8 rasboras, or one knife fish
This would prevent overcrowding, but I do tend to go with understocked tanks because I like to see fish with lots of swimming room, but that's just my 2 cents.

For shrimp / snails / things that breed really readily I would just get a few and let them reproduce until they reach the sustainable population on their own- it's a safe way to avoid overcrowding.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
In the process of stocking my 20 gal long and wanted some opinions on the choices! Was afraid of overstocking but I know it has more to do with how the filtering and space is handled.

1 Juvenile BGK (about 3 inches long atm and I plan to move it to a 100 gallon in the next couple of years since they grow slowly)
4 Emperor Tetras
5 Black Emperor Tetras
8 Emerald Dwarf Rasboras (give or tank, I plan to leave some in my 10 gallon)
5 Corydora (4 bronze and 1 older albino female)
20 or more Cherry Shrimp

Current group that I want to move: The one albino corydora is because she came from a bad batch and was the only survivor. She's been pretty good on her own for the last four months, even laying unfertilized eggs EVERYWHERE a while back. She's about 2 1/2 inches. My rasboras have been having babies off and one for the last month or so, I wanna leave some (or all) in the 10g to let them continue breeding. 9 babies of various ages atm! 17 adult cherry shrimp (2 are Jade Green) that have had innumerable babies. I'm guessing there are 40+ at this point
What is a BGK?

·
Registered
80 Gal Planted
156 Posts
Why not go with the African knifefish xenomystus Nigiri? They are a more community safe species that stays small and has all of the positive traits of a knife fish in a much more manageable package.
I kept one a long time ago and He was very personable and active.
If you’re looking for an oddball why not try one of the spiny eels?

life happens, I didn’t think I’d have to spend Over $4000 on vet bills last year But emergency’s can pop up any time.
With a smaller more manageable species you can enjoy the tank no matter what

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really? In a 20 gallon?
Where have you read/heard that they grow slowly so a 20 gallon is suitable for a couple years?
From everything I've watched and read, they really only come out to explore when they're hungry or they see something that interests them, staying in their tunnels and caves for the majority of the time. All of "monster fish" keeping forums say they keep them in an even smaller tank (15 gallons or lower) until they are around 7-8+ inches. The baby I'm getting is 2 1/2 -3 inches.

I've seen ranges of 1cm to 1/2 inch a month. They seem to all be different and I would just need to observe his growth rate. I'm guessing I'll have at least 2 years (give or take of course), but I have room and funds for a larger tank so if his growth rate is fast, it shouldn't be an issue to get one set up for him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.