The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have a 10G low tech planted tank in my bedroom that I view mainly at night with a dim moonlight on. It currently has no fish at all. I was wondering if there are any fish out there that are particularly interesting to view in the moonlight? Fish that stay in the open at night, or maybe are even nocturnal?

Here is what the tank looked like, sadly the shrimp couldn't take 78 degrees during the summer and I lost them:
IMG_3646 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Thank you!
Whiskey

·
Registered
50 Posts
Honeycomb aka oil catfish (centromochlus perugiae) are supposed to be active at night, haven't kept them personally so can't attest to it, but most things I've read says they're out and feeding at dusk/night and hiding during the day, plus I think they're good looking. They're smallish fish, and I've seen them suggested as being ok for a 10g, assuming you don't overstock them or other inhabitants of course.

ETA, lovely tank by the way, looks great!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you don't mind the genetically engineered glo fish you could do some of the neon yellow/green zebra danio type. I had some of them for the kids and they even looked nice in daylight with their bright yellow. I had three of those as well and they would dart around chasing each other. I don't think they are nocturnal but I've seen them active in the evening with the a blue moon light on which they glow under. They stay higher in the tank. The glo tetras stay a little lower.

Upon further inspection I noticed your shrimp and the danios or tetras would most likely snack on shrimplings. I don't know how active they are at night but I'd try 6 pygmy cories.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What kind of shrimp? RCS? If so I would look elsewhere to why they died. They can easily survive 78 in good conditions. My room stays at 78 in the summer and the tank a few degrees above that. They are all fine.

I think otos would be a good addition to your tank. You might find they are a little too active mixed with impossible to find though.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Have a look around Planet Catfish, use their search with the word nocturnal and quite a few items from their forums will come up. It will mean a lot of reading, then research, but there are a lot of cats that are more active at night than during the day.
Quite a few Loaches are nocturnal, or at least crepuscular, but not many are small enough to be suited to a 10 gallon tank. A search at Loaches might turn up something, though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you don't mind the genetically engineered glo fish you could do some of the neon yellow/green zebra danio type. I had some of them for the kids and they even looked nice in daylight with their bright yellow. I had three of those as well and they would dart around chasing each other. I don't think they are nocturnal but I've seen them active in the evening with the a blue moon light on which they glow under. They stay higher in the tank. The glo tetras stay a little lower.
This is a little known fact that Glo-fish will fluoresce arguably better under bright blue LEDs than under UV light. In my experience the green ones glow the best, although now they have blue/purple ones that would probably glow well under blue.

Another obvious choice is neon tetras or cardinal tetras. Their blue stripe lights up under blue moon lights. The last obvious choice is albino fish, such as albino corries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.