The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

A 90gal tank is nice, lots of room to play with- especially if you want to stock with small fish.

Most tetras would work in a 90gal tank. I prefer to have large schools of just a few species. My personal favorites are Cardinal tetras, that's what I'm re-stocking my own 90gal with. Along with plecos, cories, and amano shrimp.

Many species of dwarf cichlids would also be appropriate (angels, rams, apistos, keyholes, kribs...)

I'd pick one fish that you really are drawn to, and then you can plan the rest of your stocking around that, to make sure all the species are compatible.

·
Registered
659 Posts
harlequin rasbora,scissor rasbora,neon tetra,glow light tetra, flame/orange ron vio tetra,
albino cherry barb, stuff like that. those fish are what is in my 75 gallon tank.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
after having a planted tank for a while now, i have come to realize the helpfulness of fish that help to keep things clean. ottos and corys are a nice addition. so are snails and shrimp.

as far as 'normal' fish, i would recommend just about any tetra or rasbora in a large school. a school of giant danios would be pretty sweet too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I still like the florida flagfish for planted tanks. No fish does a better job controlling hair algae.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
On last count in my 90 I had:

22 Cardinals
5 Bleeding Hearts
4 Glassfish
2 Glass Catfish
1 Large and obnoxious Siamese Algae Eater
4 Male guppies

Currently in my QT tank I have 4 additional Bleeding Hearts and 5 Glass Cats. They'll go in my 90 on Christmas Day!

I like a nice peaceful tank where everyone is happy and not hiding away all day.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I second any of the above. I have rainbows and tetra's in my 90.

DO NOT put in a Silver Dollar..... they will turn your plants into VERY EXPENSIVE food.:icon_cry:

·
Registered
322 Posts
how many of those cardinal tetras do you think i could keep in a 30 gallon planted??
Depends on how planted it is, what your filtration is, and if you want other fish in the tank? You can stock tanks more than what most people use as a rule of thumb. Inch per gallon. That became a common "rule" because so many people were not to experienced. So they would over stock and not know proper maintenance then cry and ask questions later. If you are a beginner, keep it light and learn as you go.

If decently planted and have a good filter and keep up with maintenance.
I would say 20-30 cardinals, with 5-6 corydora and some shrimp to clean up the excess food. Couple of oto's to help clean algae. That would be it....maybe add a small school of top water column fish later down the road.

Keep in mind when stocking fish what part of the water column they like. You can fit more fish by looking at where they hang out most to prevent crowding. I usually choose a school for each level. Surface (hatchets, pencils), middle- most free swimming fishes, bottom- corydora etc. Just don't get ahead of yourself and use your senses.

I have 13 in my 20 gallon and plan on getting more to make a bigger school. Click my link in my sig to see what I stocked in my 20 gallon planted.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Bleeding heart tetras are also very pretty fish.
+1

I wish more people would keep these pretty fish! I'd have a school of them myself if I had the room for a large enough tank. As it is, I don't have room for anything larger than my 20-long. And in every tank I've ever seen them in, they school VERY tightly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
yea i have an okay filter... i have CO2 (DIY) and high light about 6 watts per gallon and it work be to planted just a moss wall for the whole back and some flame moss on the wood... i wouldnt say im a beginner but im not going to say im an expert either... thanks for the help... im probably going to get about 15-20 cardinals with 4-5 corydora's,and maybe a few RCS just for fun... thanks for the help... and trust me i keep up on my maintenance... i have nothing better to do...

·
Registered
322 Posts
You have way to much light if your just going for mosses. You may want some faster growing plants to help suck up some of the fish waste better. I think your tank will be covered in algae if not watched like a hawk. Why do you want so much light if your just planning on a variety of mosses?

May want to make another thread, so we don't get off topic of the original poster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.