The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations? I'm working on a 5.5 gallon for my office desk. It has to be quiet.

Thank you!:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I have heard that the Red Sea nano filter is pretty good, at least I think thats what its called! Nice avatar!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot! :biggrin:

I'm using AZOO nano filter, which I believe is the same thing. It's kind of noisy though.

I have heard that the Red Sea nano filter is pretty good, at least I think thats what its called! Nice avatar!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Yeah, the Red Sea or Azoo ones get my vote. They aren't silent, but they're nowhere near noisy enough to keep me from falling asleep at night. In fact, my ceiling fan makes more noise than it does. I find them to be very efficient, and reasonably attractive. If I were going to spend any more money than the $13-17 it will cost me at the LFS, I would go up to a 2211 or other reasonably good canister, rather than some other kind of HOB.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you can find an airpump which is sufficiently silent, or can locate it in a cabinet where it's hum will be masked, a Lustar HydroSponge I or a Dirt Magnet is very effective and easy to maintain.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will the bubbles from sponge filter decrease the CO2 level in the water? I use sponge filters in my Apisto breeding tanks, but never used them in planted tanks.

If you can find an airpump which is sufficiently silent, or can locate it in a cabinet where it's hum will be masked, a Lustar HydroSponge I or a Dirt Magnet is very effective and easy to maintain.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Zoomed 501, I have it on my 5.5 and it's fantastic. It's quiet, it provides the perfect amount of flow, and it's just the right size to hide behind the tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts