The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a good CO2 diffuser? I just ordered a CO2 regulator and I'm not sure if its going to come with a diffuser. Since I'm new to the whole CO2 thing, I was hoping someone could recommend an efficent one. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
It depends on the size of your tank. For smaller tanks, you may be able to get away with a glass diffuser with a ceramic disc.

For large tanks, however, you may need multiple diffusers and/or a CO2 reactor to get enough CO2 dissolved. In addition, for larger tanks, even distribution of the CO2 becomes an issue as well.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 75g tank so, I guess I would need a reactor. As far as distribution, would it be enouph to have the output of the reactor near the output of my filter return spray bar? That would help to circulate the CO2 infused water. Or, do I need to hook-up a powerhead to the reactor?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use a Rex style reactor on my 120. I have not had any problems and would recommend them to anyone. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
I have a 75g tank so, I guess I would need a reactor.
Correct, a reactor would be the best method of CO2 diffusion. You will still need to worry about even CO2 distribution, however.

As far as distribution, would it be enouph to have the output of the reactor near the output of my filter return spray bar? That would help to circulate the CO2 infused water. Or, do I need to hook-up a powerhead to the reactor?
You may find that this may be enough (or not enough). The best thing to do is monitor your plants and/or place a drop checker as far away from the CO2 output as possible to determine whether there is even CO2 distribution.

A powerhead is also a possibility if you find that you are not achieving even dispersion of CO2.

Wood saltwater air 'stones' work. A inch of chopstick stuck in the end of the gas line works too, but I really like the looks of my glass & ceramic diffuser.
Air stones are not as effective as the glass diffusers with the ceramic discs. If you are relying on diffusion (discs), the smaller the bubbles, the better. I believe that the ceramic discs have pore sizes smaller than that of the finest air stone pores.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts