The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I found this aquarium on Ebay. This is the description. "46 Gallon Aquarium Tank/ Stand/ Versa Top/ And Overflow". All of this is Like New too.

Here is a picture of it:
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m625/coreynol/46GallonBowfront.jpg

I bought it for 180 which includes him driving 100 miles to deliver it. Which is great because I live 200 miles away from him. Question is; Do you think this is a great deal?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You saved $35 in gas, roughly, reducing the price to $145. Used tanks usually sell for around $1 per gallon, up to maybe twice that for "as new" ones. So, the tank should sell for $50-$100. The stand is pretty ordinary, worth maybe $25. So, I think you got an OK deal, but not a great one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havent got it yet. I will be going to get it probably next week. I hope that there are no leaks but if there is I will be breaking down his door. But im pretty excited since it it a bow front and has a decent stand to go with it. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know what an Overflow is used for?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think you got a great deal if the light was included. If not, assuming it doesn't leak, you got a fair price for a secondhand tank.

The small acrylic box with a tube coming out of it in that pic is the overflow. They are used to deliver water from the display tank to a sump (typical setup in a reef system). Judging from the pic it looks like he has been using it for saltwater. Give it a good cleaning when you get it and make sure it holds water before setting it up are my only suggestions.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You should be able to easily remove the overflow, leaving just two drilled holes in the tank bottom. If so, you can put bulkhead fittings in those holes and use them to get the canister filter in and out lines into the tank, without draping hoses across the back of the tank. That is a plus for the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts