The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Had a Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pump 240 and it makes WAYYYY too much noise. I'm looking for a circulation pump that is very QUIET since my aquarium is in my office/study. Any recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hmm, I have a different experience with my Koralia. It is one of the quietest pumps. Whenever there is noise I add some lubricant to the central ax like mineral oil or Vaseline. Also make sure the vibrations are not transmitted to other more noisy elements via the power cord and the pump is not in direct contact with rocks, glass etc

·
Registered
215 Posts
Too much noise from a Koralia 240 probably means there is something wrong with it. Mine only made noise if I took the outside magnet off, then the suction cup would still hold it up, but the interior magnet would vibrate against the glass. How this is your glass? I am now using a Tunze 6040 which is slightly bigger and a lot more expensive, but has variable flow from 53 gph to 1150 gph and has stronger exterior magnets available if you are mounting on thicker glass. The Tunze is very quiet. There is a single speed version, the 6020, that is the same form factor (so stronger magnet still works, and it is much cheaper than the 6040) but is probably too much flow for you, I think it is over 600 gph.

-Justin

·
Registered
76 Posts
+1 on the previous comments. There is likely something up with your pump. I have 2 koralias running now (and had a third) that are all completely silent. The only thing that comes to mind is to check that the silver pin is in place properly. Otherwise, I'd try to exchange it, they really are the quietest pumps I've worked with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts