The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookin for a good media setup for a XP1 canister filter thats good for plants and discus any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The bigger the better. From what I understand, discus are messy, so they need a lot of filtration. Also, they need bigger tanks, more than an xp1 can cover alone. I have an xp2 on a 46g, and I wish I had bought a xp3. I want to put more media in there than there is room for.

The xp1 has 1 basket correct? So you'd probably have room for the coarse sponges, a fine floss pad, then some biological media? (those stars or ceramic noodles. I personally use Seachem's Matrix).

I guess the more pertinent question is, how big is the tank?

Edit: Basically, avoid activated carbon in your filters unless there is a specific need for it. The carbon will absorb the nutrients your plants want. If you want a water polisher, Purigen does not absorb those nutrients that carbon will.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input but the xp1 does great i have watley Discus that i payed nicely for so i do water changes every week that way the filters dont have time to get dirty. I just need some good ammonia and phosphate blockers.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I do large water changes every week. Some of my tanks don't even have fish, and the filters still get dirty.

Why do you want to "block" phosphate? It's essentially harmless.

An XP1 isn't a very big filter, what size tank do you have?

As far as a good filter media plan, I think I have one that I like and is very functional. The bottom of the tray has ceramic rings to catch the big particles. Then, I stuff the rest with filter floss and throw in a bag of Purigen. Every month, I take out the bottom half of my filter floss (the dirtiest) and swap it out with new floss. Works well for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
having some problems with beard algae but i found out the charcoal was still in (thought i had takin it out) and thanks for the recipe ive heard that one a few times so ill try it out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts