The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have canister filter questions. I am new to forums and I'm sorry if this gets a bit long.
I am somewhat of a newb and right now I only have a 6 gal planted. I'm looking at getting a 54 gal corner in the next couple weeks. I'm really excited about this tank and have plans to plant it and stock it with as heavy a load as possible for the size of the tank while still keeping everyone healthy and happy ( I have stocking questions as well). So I want a really good reliable filter, and my research has only been confusing so far. I have never had any type of filter then a HOB. I was looking at the Sunsun hw 304b, the Filstar xp3, and an Eheim but I'm not sure which one would be best. The reviews for each are all over the board. I do want to stay on a budget of as much under 200$ possible. So I'm asking for advice and any canisters you have had a good experience with/and longevity.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I have the smaller brother: the 36g corner.
I think most of us will agree that corner tanks present a lot of 'challanges', filtering / circulation / flow being one big PITA. Avoid corner tanks at all costs :)

In your price range, something like Eheim 2217 or 2075 (my personal choice).

v3

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a xp3 (now called xpl) in a 55gal. So far im very happy with it. Easy to maintain, great flow, a lot of media space inside and good price - I paid 117 online with free shipping. The negatives: if it doesn't prime perfect or gets air inside there can be a lot of bubbles from the outlet. It is a strong flow and the new models (which is called the api xpl) do not come with a spraybar.
Overall I like it and recommend it.
filter shopping is a pain. I had a thread started as well and it took months to decide. I think if you stick with the tried and tested like api/rena, eheim, fluval, filters like that you should be happy. Just remember if u do just one filter that it is big enough for the load. If one u may consider the xp4/xpxl. Might add a powerhead as well since it was said corner tanks are a flow challenge.
I have the xp3 and a magnum 350 on my 55 but that tank has african cichlids and they can be dirty.
good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thank you both! I will look into these more and compare :) I heard about making sure u get a big enough filter and that's one of the reasons I was looking at the Sunsun 304b as it boasted 525?gph (w/O filter media) with a uv, and only costs around 134$ and free shipping. But it would be pointless to get something that might be worthless and cost more to replace in the long run. So I will probably end up getting something a bit more well known. Thanks again, I will take a closer look at the Eheim and the Api xp-L or XL :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I suggest the Cobalt EXT canister filter. You can get it for about $100. Super quietNd very easy to maintain. I just got one two weeks ago and am very happy. I'm a long time Eheim user, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.