The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering what is a good camera that some of you use for taking pictures of your fish. Digital or film... doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i wouldnt mind having a dslr but those are pretty expensive. I was looking for a camera that is in the range of 250-500 good quality, will last me a long time and wont break, and be simple enough for an amateur (that learns quickly)

·
Registered
101 Posts
The most expensive parts from DSLR are lenses.

Try Canon Powershot range for $250-500.

BUT, if you want a really good quality pic, you should go with DSLR. Of course you must learn a bit first :D

·
Registered
712 Posts
if you plan on a lot of macro shooting, it's nice to have a camera that accepts other lenses and flash peripherals. that way you can get some macro filters and lens, as well as control of extra flash modules for side-lighting, etc. most compact p&s models won't allow you to do that. in the powershot family, the higher-end powershots do (G-series).
-snafu

·
Registered
375 Posts
Circuit City is selling the Nikon D40 for 569$ right now, normally $599. Only 30$ savings, but that 30$ can get you an extra 1 gig flash card for it!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright so I am convinced of a DSLR. You are all saying that powershot is very good. What are a few models with powershot that you can recommend and what are a couple good lenses that would go with this. Max price for both is still 500 though.

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
Powershot is a Canon Point & Shoot camera, not a DSLR. If your max is $500 DSLRs are out, they start at about 700 with a mediocre kit lens.

I bought a DSLR and I am selling my Powershot G3, along with some equipment to take good macro shots.

I spent about $1200 for the DSLR body and two lenses.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
i would go with a power shot, then get the filter adapter and the macro lense filters for it. i used them with my old powershot and had good results. in some cases slightly better then my macro lense and SLR combo. haha

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have a Canon Powershot A630($249). It is an 8 megapixel camera, and accepts other lenses, remote flashes, etc. It takes great pics and has lots of feature...but for macros, it isn't that good out of the box. If $500 is the limit maybe you could get one of the even higher end Powershots and get some new lenses and filter for it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You should go with a DSLR if you plan on getting serious with macro and photography in general. For close to $500 you can get a Nikon D50 DSLR with a kit lens that isn't terrible. You can get an adapter to allow you do do some macro with it, or save up a few and get a Sigma 50mm macro probably one of the cheapest macro's that is decent.

I've ordered stuff from this outfit before and they seem to be legit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D50-Digit...Z006QQcategoryZ122616QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You should go with a DSLR if you plan on getting serious with macro and photography in general. For close to $500 you can get a Nikon D50 DSLR with a kit lens that isn't terrible. You can get an adapter to allow you do do some macro with it, or save up a few and get a Sigma 50mm macro probably one of the cheapest macro's that is decent.

I've ordered stuff from this outfit before and they seem to be legit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D50-Digit...Z006QQcategoryZ122616QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
Don't forget he would need a flash like the sb-600 to get good results with macro shots.

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
No, not a good price. Too cheap, they are not legit. Always check

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Royal_Camera

They will either not have it and sell you something else, or sell you an added kit that includes battery, charger, manual and a memory card for $499. :)

Always read the reviews!

B&H and Adorama are pretty good camera stores.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
one thing i thought about that most of us, including me over looked.

you do have the option of buying a USED SLR camera. they are MUCH more reasonable. i got my EOS 300D for 200 bucks used. then i just picked up a couple of lenses and we're good to go. i had seen a D70 last week with lenses for 270 bucks, which is damn cheap. almost makes me wish i would have waited alittle while longer, but not really.

Lets see....300D- $200, EF28-90mm lense - $90 (new ), EF75-300mm lense $175 ( new ), and a EF50mm compact marco - $200 ( used ). i am very pleased with my combo of things, and all that is still around 500 bucks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.