The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking with my hubby and we've decided to go the co2 reactor route hooked to a power head in the tank. Which brands are good? What should I avoid? We would like to avoid the microbubbles associated with a diffuser. We already have a HOB filter but keep the tank full to the top to avoid surface agitation.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What does the Cerges look like installed? I don't want a giant piece of pvc in my tank. The pictures in the diy aren't available anymore so I'm not sure how it looks building it and after it's installed. It looks like some people have it as a spray bar?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
What does the Cerges look like installed? I don't want a giant piece of pvc in my tank. The pictures in the diy aren't available anymore so I'm not sure how it looks building it and after it's installed. It looks like some people have it as a spray bar?
The Cerges uses a whole house filter housing you can pick up for around $20 and would be installed under your stand if you have one. You could DIY a spray bar with pvc or buy one online. You will also need some hose, barbed fittings and some ball valves. It's pretty simplistic and effective.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've done crap load of different reactors. DIY, cerges, Griggs, ceramic disc, powerheads, airstones, and fed right into the filter. And I must say, my favorite is what I have right now. For 8 bucks I bought the small ista, attached a cheap rio pump to it, and put it in the tank. Don't have to worry about leaks, compromising my filter, sounds, and it's well hidden behind a ton of booming plants. It's simple, simple, simple. Took 30 seconds to set up and forget about it. With all the others mentioned noise, leaks, crud, etc etc will eventually happen. The only downside is if you can't hide it anywhere in your tank.

A picture to show you can't see it..and it works.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've done crap load of different reactors. DIY, cerges, Griggs, ceramic disc, powerheads, airstones, and fed right into the filter. And I must say, my favorite is what I have right now. For 8 bucks I bought the small ista, attached a cheap rio pump to it, and put it in the tank. Don't have to worry about leaks, compromising my filter, sounds, and it's well hidden behind a ton of booming plants. It's simple, simple, simple. Took 30 seconds to set up and forget about it. With all the others mentioned noise, leaks, crud, etc etc will eventually happen. The only downside is if you can't hide it anywhere in your tank.
Now that's a decent idea. Pretty sure I threw my Ista reactor in the trash after the most recent leakage incident. They perform quite well, just made out of cheap junk that leaks if you look at it funny. Can't leak if it's already in the tank, though, right? Simple yet brilliant.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
You could create a closed loop with a dry pump and DIY PVC reactor outside the tank. Only the intake and outlet would be in the tank. You'd pump the CO2 into the top of the reactor, either a Grigg or Cerges, near where the water enters.

Alternatively, you could try this if you don't have a large tank. It's an old idea in an old thread, but I keep a bunch of that type of thread in my subscriptions for just such an occasion :)

Here's the thread, missing most pics:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-diy/35198-barr-internal-venturi-co2-reactor-2.html

And here's a link that Hoppy added to the thread a while back when somebody complained about the lack of pics, also a while back:
Tom Barr's DIY Internal Reactor w/venturi

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.