1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Here is an excellent site about Cyano. Although it is more for saltwater, it is very insightful, easy to understand, and in depth.

References - Cyanobacteria, Blue Green Algae, Slime algae, red slime algae

Yet another artical on this site about algea.

References - Control of Algae in Planted Aquaria
We only have one species of Cyano (Oscillitoria) in FW planted tanks that's ever any issue and the other ref is about a decade out of date, no one on line accepts the PO4 limitation theory for controlling FW algae, that's been shown to be false. Even more basic level of hobbyists can prove this to themselves easily.

Just because someone says/writes something on line, does not mean it right, correct or true.:cool:

I deal with Marine Cyanos as well, I've gotten a lot further along than most any reef, marine person has from the sounds of it.
I spoke at a marine club in La and "fixed" a dozen or so local members tanks.

No more recurrent Cyano issues.
Specifics help, that's something you can test and see if the idea/hyopthesis is right or not. I question most things I read and hear and ask if that seems reasonable and if so, how might I test for it.

I've seen way too many myths and folks that talk in generalizations and do not give ranges,a nd specifics about what causes or appears to cause various issues.

I do not even trust myself:) :thumbsup:
So I am my own worst critic and repeat things and revisit them often.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well apparently it wasn't a very good site. The problem with experimenting on my tank, is the fear of worse things happening. So I tend to settle on the condition I have and not agitate the situation.

With that being said, after reading that article I was getting up the nerve to to limit my P04. But now after reading what you have said, Maybe I'll rethink my situation.

Here what I'm dealing with. I had quite a bit of BGA. I manualy removed as much as I could and did WC 30-40% 3 times a week for about 2 weeks. Now I have a few quarter sized patches on the substrate and 2 rather large spots on the back glass. None of which appear to be growing. Or at least not fast enough to notice. So I leave it alone Thinking it must be using up just enough neutrients to keep it and more from growing.

So there in layes the problem I have. The old if its not broke don't fix it. I know the potenial is there for the worst I just don't know what to do.

Thank
Mike

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
To deal with the BGA, clean off all you can, 3 day black out cover tank with trash bag (2layers thick), turn off CO2, do a 50% water change prior and after.
Add 3/4 teaspoon KNO3 right at the start of the , do another 50 % water change after the 3 days are up, and add 1/2 teaspoon and 1/2 teaspoon 3x a week thereafter with routine 50% weekly water changes.

You likely can get rid of it without the 3 days, but just clean well, then dose plenty of KNO3. Bump up the CO2 a tad perhaps.

Niether atrticle will tell you this nor what induces BGA.
If you can induce BGa, then you know at least one cause(an alga might have multiple causes, but it's somewhat the exception rather than rule so far, that might change)

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts