The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I wanted to ask you which test kit / master kit is the best?

I just recently jumped in to rcs and crs hobby and trying to maintain my water.

right now I only have the 5 in 1 API test strips... I know I know its not even accurate. but right now I'm getting positive reading from it. I use once after water change, another test 1day before the next water change.

BUT what I hate about these strips is that they are not very accurate to tell my water param after 5/6 days after water change (1day before the next water change). i.e. the color is showing me between 30-120 ppm of GH. And I suck at comparing alike colors...

secondly I bought liquid API Gh + Kh test kit. And I just notice they do not use color chart... instead I am suppose to count how many drops to get the green color from orange. PLUS these kit do not start from 0 Gh, instead they start from 27.9 ppm reading.. zzz

SO for those people that keeping SSSSSSSSS shrimps, what kit do you use to check your water param?

help would be appreciate it! :D

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
That liquid GH/KH test kit is fine. And remember, each degree of GH is equal to 27.9ppm. So 5 drops to a color change is (5 X 27.9)ppm. But many (most?) references will include both ppm and degrees, so you don't really have to do the math.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
17.9ppm = 1dH LOL typo
reaching endpoint color change with one drop of reagent is <17.9ppm
test 10ml of water it's <8.45ppm

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
17.9ppm = 1dH LOL typo
reaching endpoint color change with one drop of reagent is <17.9ppm
test 10ml of water it's <8.45ppm
oh yeah 17.9ppm / 1 degree
hmmm ok.... so the key is on the amount of my water sample?

lets say I have 50 ml of water. Each drop = 1.79ppm / .10 degree difference?

right? so in order to get more accurate result just required more sample water?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The kicker with test kits is that none of them are accurate until you calibrate them with standard solutions of distilled water with known concentrations of whatever you are testing for in them. The lack of accuracy is partly because you have to use the test kits correctly, and you have to interpret the colors right. But, it is also because nothing is perfect so you can expect that some test kits just won't work right, and the longer they have been on a store or your shelf the less likely they are to work right. This is true whether the test kit costs $10 or $500.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The kicker with test kits is that none of them are accurate until you calibrate them with standard solutions of distilled water with known concentrations of whatever you are testing for in them. The lack of accuracy is partly because you have to use the test kits correctly, and you have to interpret the colors right. But, it is also because nothing is perfect so you can expect that some test kits just won't work right, and the longer they have been on a store or your shelf the less likely they are to work right. This is true whether the test kit costs $10 or $500.
oh shoot. I notice the gh kh box is dusty...

but yea I did calibrate (compare) to my Glacier Drinking Water from the vending machine... it turns green on the first drop.. but the 1st drop is already 17.9ppm.... so like how can I calculate 3-4ppm for "perfect" recommended gh for crs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.