The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate enough to get a JBJ viper 70w MH for my 60-p (thanks Craig!). It was sent to me with (i believe) two Philips CDM70/TD/942 with a 92 CRI (which I am guessing is Color Rendition Index and the higher the number the more truly anything that is cast in this lite will show its real colors?). Its a nice bulb but I was thinking that when I replace this one I would like something a bit less yellow, or as I would assume in the PC/t5 world a higher color temp.

So what are you using, how do you like it and do you have any pics?

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
I'm using the 8,000K bulb from fishneedit. I like it. I thinks it's similar in color to the ADA green bulb. Wouldn't look so hot with reds in the tank though. I think I'm gonna try their 10,000K bulb after I burn through a couple of these.

Sorry... No fts yet.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have lots of reds in my tank. I wonder how a 10000k would reproduce them?
The higher you go on color temperature, the lesser the red spectrum usually. Although ADA MH stay at 8000K they use specific vapors to produce more of the red or green spectrums. IMO, it would be better to stay closer to the 6500K for getting better reds.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About the same as a T5 10,000K would. They won't look nearly as red as they would with an aquaflora or other pink bulb involved. On the other hand, they won't look washed out either.
Im used to running 10000k bulbs with 6500k or pink plant bulbs too so I always get a good mix in the past.

Ushio makes a really nice 70 watt 10k bulb but they run around $65 but would fit the bill nicely.

Craig
Are these bulbs 4300k? I was searching through the section and saw a post you made and i believe it was for the bulbs I have that you sent.

Ill check into the ushio. :thumbsup:

The higher you go on color temperature, the lesser the red spectrum usually. Although ADA MH stay at 8000K they use specific vapors to produce more of the red or green spectrums. IMO, it would be better to stay closer to the 6500K for getting better reds.
ADA looks to only have 150w and 250w MH bulbs.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I have searched and come up with anywhere from 4200-6000k rating on these bulbs. I don't believe they are made anymore but with the hgh CRI rating I was guessing around 6k but they could be less, they were less yellow then some super cheap 6500k ebay bulbs I had tried.

If you can ever find a source for these I would buy a pallet of them. http://www.viclite.com/astraaq.htm I had them a couple years back and were the perfect bulb.

Craig

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lse inc has 8000k 70w halides for $20
Here are some that I found.

Any comments or personal experience?

[Ebay Link Removed]

[Ebay Link Removed]

[Ebay Link Removed]

[Ebay Link Removed]

[Ebay Link Removed]

[Ebay Link Removed]

Crap I forgot about no ebay links!!!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If you check my journal thread you see the difference in light in 8000K FNI 150 watt bulbs. The center bulb is about a year newer than the outside ones. At least the nice guy at FNI said it is 8000K, I didn't actually look to see. Don't know about 70 watts but the 8000K 150 watt is nice and the price is certainly right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.