The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys! I asked a question awhile back, and you all were very helpful. Right now Im in the market for a 1x65 compact flourescent fixture for my 29. I figure this will give me about 2wpg which might be ok for most plants, I already have yeast based c02 running on the tank. Anyhow, I saw the Current USA Satellite CF 1x65 watt fixture listed on this site much cheaper then anywhere else:

http://www.tricitytropicals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=122

My questions are: Have any of you had experience with the Satellite Fixtures and their competitors (such as Coralife Aqualights)? Is the Satellite CF a good product? Also, have any of you ordered from Tricity tropicals? Are they a good dealer? Thanks! :bounce:

PS: I noticed the satellite comes with a fan. Is this particulary loud and bothersome?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I will probably get a new coralife from my lfs at some point then. Would it be ok to run a 20w bubl that I have on there now, maybe with a 10000k bulb to combat some of the yellowness from the 6700 (perhaps only 2 hours a day or so).

How do you know they are refurb?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Why not head over to www.ahsupply.com and get a 55 watt kit that will fit in your current strip light. The kit will actually give as much if not more light in the tank than most any commercial fixture.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
...Right now I'm in the market for a 1x65 compact fluorescent fixture for my 29... Anyhow, I saw the Current USA Satellite CF 1x65 watt fixture listed on this site much cheaper then anywhere else:

http://www.tricitytropicals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=122
You can't go wrong with AHSupply's kits!

TCT sells new Current fixtures as well as refurbished fixtures. The link that you posted shows the price for a new one. The refurbished one is only $7 cheaper. http://www.tricitytropicals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=659

I have two of Current's Orbit fixtures. The fan noise doesn't bother me. These are excellent fixtures. The reflector is a high quality item. It's wider than the reflector on Satellites or Aqualights. The white moon lights on the Satellite or Orbit are neat.

I've read about some folks that got their refurbished fixtures from TCT and were well pleased. They looked like brand new. The only thing they noticed was that the box had been opened at on time.

I don't know if you know this or not, but on TCT's site it says that they will swap out the saltwater bulbs for freshwater bulbs for $5 each.

If I were you, I'd get a 30" 2x65w Orbit from TCT. This way you wouldn't have to worry about upgrading the lighting down the road. There's very few 30" T5 HO fixtures on the market right now.
http://www.tricitytropicals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=491

Current's home site: http://current-usa.com/

This is something else. Coralife's Freshwater Aqualights are a "brass" color while Current's fixtures are black. I like the black color better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would go with the 2x65 but currently Im a 15 year old kid looking for a job and getting the bulk of my income from mowing old ladies' lawns :proud: . If I got 2x65 it means I would have to go pressurized and all that jazz. I would go with AH supply but wouldn't I have to make an enclosure? Im not good with DIY stuff, best thing Ive ever done was my DIY c02 sysetm. Would coralife be the next best thing?

BTW thank you for the helpful replies! :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I like my coralife 65w unit. I purchased it at hellolights.com, cheapest place I could fine. Service and light were both excellent.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I would go with the 2x65 but currently Im a 15 year old kid looking for a job and getting the bulk of my income from mowing old ladies' lawns :proud: . If I got 2x65 it means I would have to go pressurized and all that jazz. I would go with AH supply but wouldn't I have to make an enclosure? Im not good with DIY stuff, best thing Ive ever done was my DIY c02 sysetm. Would coralife be the next best thing?

Gosh, when I mowed yards, I got between 25¢ and 35¢ each!

AHSupply sells enclosures to put your DIY lighting kit in: http://www.ahsupply.com/finished_enclosures.htm

AHSupply's kits are great.

If you don't want it, you can go with either the 1x65w Freshwater Aqualight or the Satellite w/a freshwater plant bulb then.

I have two Freshwater Aqualights. They're OK, but I still don't like the color.

If you did decide on the Orbit, you wouldn't have to run both bulbs. It has on/off switches for each. Then, down the road, you wouldn't have to upgrade you lighting, like I mentioned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A regular flourescent 1 bulb light strip? How? Is this "retrofitting"? If I could do this, I am seriously considering ordering from AH supply. How much is shipping?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Why not head over to www.ahsupply.com and get a 55 watt kit that will fit in your current strip light. The kit will actually give as much if not more light in the tank than most any commercial fixture.
BTW, the 55W/65W difference in bulbs is as far as I can tell, a marketing ploy as the lamps are the same (the ballast is slightly overdriven).

Don't get stuck at 65W>55W

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
A regular flourescent 1 bulb light strip? How? Is this "retrofitting"? If I could do this, I am seriously considering ordering from AH supply. How much is shipping?
Retrofit in that the ballast, reflector, and lamp are replaced (or retrofitted).

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
4,701 Posts

Man thats cool, I remember my mowing days they were hard days of work
that helped me learn how to manage my funds today. Hard work pays off
keep on keepin on pacman.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok thanks for all the help guys! I think iIwill go with a lighting kit from AH supply. Are they hard to install? Im not that good with DIY stuff, but Im certainly not stupid. The other thing I was worried about was the CF bulb getting too hot. The light strip kind of "sits" in an enclosed section above a small glass pane where the light is shone through into the tank. Will this be a problem? Thanks. :proud:

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
...The light strip kind of "sits" in an enclosed section above a small glass pane where the light is shone through into the tank. Will this be a problem? Thanks. :proud:
Is it glass or clear plastic?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Come to think of it...I think it is plastic.

On a happier note (considering now i will have to make my wallet cry out 15 more bucks for a glass hood) all my plants seem to be doing decently well in the .7 wpg 2800k bulb and my diy c02 set up. Some are even growing...albeit slowly. But hey, I thought they would all be dead by now! :proud:

I have a new dilemma! Since I will be retrofitting this AH supply kit into my stock light strip, I dont know if I will be able to find legs to support the strip to make the tank open top. I would get a glass canopy, but I have heard of problems with laying CF fixtures on glass. Glass cracking, et. :eek: Will my AH supply retrofit be ok over the glass hood? If not where can I find legs for my stock strip. It came with a full hood setup....from either perfecto or top-fin...

·
Registered
209 Posts
What I did on my 55 gal All Glass I retro'ed with ahsupply stuff was keep the stock top and just cut out the glass under the bulb. It's only siliconed in place. You keep the clean factory look and there's no glass to get dirty or worry about cracking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts