The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's a pretty general question that I'm going to have to deal with no matter what. So for three weeks I'll be gone for military duty and my girlfriend will be taking care of the tank. Such as feeding and adding water when it gets low. But do you think it should be ok with out any water changes for that long of a time period? I mean it's goin to get fresh water every so often or so. But no dose of ferts just co2 going like normal. But shall fish and plants be ok with no water changes? I of course am going to clean filters and water change before I leave but ehh I'm sort of worried about it. Think it will be ok???

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I think you could ask her to maybe do 1x 50% change 1 and a half weeks in, and then you do the next one when you come back.
Nothing will probably die if you don't, especially if you keep feedings low. Maybe feed every third day (except for babies and juveniles that don't have big stommachs yet).

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I did regular ever other week water changes in a low tech environment, so I don't think 3 weeks will kill your tank. It really depends on your stocking. But a tiny pinch of food, every 2-3 days, will help. You'll probably be fine. My fish were 100% fine with 9 days of neglect.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I would cut my photoperiod, raise the lights, turn the co2 down a bit, and cut down on the food. Try to low tech it. I'm not sure what kind of plants you have, if you have some demanding ones, that might not work, but its probably your best bet at avoiding the algae farm.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If your GF is up for it and you walk her through it, a partial water change half way through wouldn't be a bad idea. Otherwise you might want to go low tech with a but less light and no CO2.
On the other hand, you could be fine. When I was going away for an extended time, I tested an Eheim Everyday feeder for weeks before the trip to ensure it was reliable. If you have the time, you might test your plan for her long before you go so you can evaluate what you best need to do while you'll be away.

·
Registered
566 Posts
How about premixing the fert into liquids, or buying liquid ferts from nilocg. Since you wouldn't be doing the 50% water change, maybe just dose for low tech. That would involve her dosing the tank with only one day of micros and one day of macros. Go to the drugstore and get a 5ml dropper. Maybe you could lower your light a little and the c02 as well.

I would worry so much about the fish. Tom Barr's low tech guide involves never doing water changes.

·
Registered
802 Posts
What kinds of fish and plants? Unless they're super sensitive fish, I'd vote no water changes. I'd be more concerned about a complete novice doing a water change than no water change.

If you've got the time, maybe you could teach her now and have her do some water changes before you leave.

Good luck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
So it's a pretty general question that I'm going to have to deal with no matter what. So for three weeks I'll be gone for military duty and my girlfriend will be taking care of the tank. Such as feeding and adding water when it gets low. But do you think it should be ok with out any water changes for that long of a time period? I mean it's goin to get fresh water every so often or so. But no dose of ferts just co2 going like normal. But shall fish and plants be ok with no water changes? I of course am going to clean filters and water change before I leave but ehh I'm sort of worried about it. Think it will be ok???
I'm probably the worst caretaker of fish on here but I've had fish for about 20+ years and I've learned how to take care of fish. Having said that, with my last 2 tanks (and people are not going to like to hear this) I've gone months probably without water changes. Occasionally, I would suck out all of the poop at the bottom and put in new water (without even adding water conditioner). Typically I would only add water to the tank when it gets low. Having said that, I rarely lose fish. So, going 3 weeks without a water change really shouldn't do much damage to your fish if you've set it up right. I guess it depends on the size of your tank as well and filtration.

Here are a couple of big guys I've had for years now.

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to thank you all for the help!!! I was luckly only gone for a little over a week!! So nothing to worry about!! Every thing looked great even for turning down lights and co2..I saw some new growth going too!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.