The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! ok so, I need a bitta advice on sorting out a tank for a few fancy goldfish... I'm in the very early stages of research so any advice (however trivial) is welcome. Believe me, I'm a girl with questions :)

I already own a planted 55g, a 12g wall aquarium and a 10g tank which are all running smoothly, (so I think I've got the basics down but Im no genius).

My boyfriend gave me early xmas prezzie, a second hand juwel rekord. its a 120litre tank (26uk gallons, or 31us gallons). 3ft x1ft x1ft. (37" x 13" x 13")

Question No.1 The tank came with a pretty nasty metal stand and the lid on the tank is horrible with a dodgy light fitting. Does anyone know any good retailers online for a decent looking stand, I dont like the standard stands for the tank either.

Ive never needed new lights on any of my tanks before but I want to get a new lid/ light for the tank. What kind if lights would be good to show the fish up, Without turning the tank into a cleaning nightmare.

Would fancy goldfish be fit to jump out of the tank if I had one of those overhead hanging lights I've seen in show tanks? Or would I better buying a set of clip on lights? or a lid?

The tank came with a pretty large tin foil barb and another huge fish I cant find anywhere online to identify. I was kinda horrified when I seen it, obviously the guy who sold the tank had no idea of care requirements for the fish. And the water readings left a whole lot to be desired. So those guys are gonna be getting rehomed asap

But back to the point, I wanna keep a coldwater fancy goldfish tank, can anybody suggest some nice species?

How many fish can I put in this tank? From what I've read online, I know is wont be more than a few, but what do you guys think? Any nice combinations of fish, I'd like bigger fast growing fancy goldfish.

which is going to need to get sorted with a good filter. At the minute the tank is running with a fluval u3 hangon filter. What should I get? I know I'll need to upgrade. Suggestions please?

thanks

give me your wisdom!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fancy goldfish like fantails, veiltails, moors, etc., in my experience, aren't jumpers, so an open tank is not a problem.

I would suggest limiting to about a max of 3-4 goldfish for your tank. If you are buying in a typically fish shop you're only going to see babies and they don't look all that big so it tempting to get a dozen. If you give them room they will grow to 6-8 inch fish in 2-3 years and the 120 liters tank will then be a little cramped with only 3-4 fish, but they can manage.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Plan on doubling the tank size for Goldfish. 30 gallons is nowhere near enough.

Alternate fish include things like Rosy Barbs, there are long finned types that are somewhat Goldfish shaped. Other cold water fish include White Cloud Mountain Minnows, certain Corydoras (most are relatively cool water fish, some can handle room temperature water with no heater), several Danios are also fine in cooler water, and look into other species of Barbs, but watch the maximum size. For that tank, I would stop at about 2", maybe 2.5" (around 5-7 cm) max length (not including tail). Smaller if it is a highly active fish.

Perhaps someone from your area will chime in about specific suppliers of fixtures.
A room temperature tank will have less evaporation than a heated tank, so no lid is OK as long as the livestock does not jump.
Golds can be a bit pushy, especially in too-small a space, and one bully can drive the others to attempt to migrate to another lake. I have had it happen, but not often. The other species I suggest would be better with a lid, several are more prone to jumping.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I would offer another way to go. If you buying from a shop it will be hard to get top quality fish. Much better odds if you find someone that breeds them, of course you'll pay more.

I would advise you pick one variety you like, as the food competion level will be the same. Buy, 5-6 fancys with a 3/4 to 1" body length (body not total length). As they develop remove (trade/sell) the ones that are sub-standard to the variety. By time they get to 2" bodies have 4. By 3" have 3. In year two you'll have 2 - 4" bodied fish. in that sized tank. Of course if you are hooked on Goldies by them you have a lager tank.

I keep Orandas, by 1" body I expect head growth. Those with out it are traded off. After 1" body shape is more of a concern. Fish that are getting too long for the Standard are next to go.

Fancys like cool water 68-70 vs. COLD water that is often recommended. You'll also need to do more/larger water changes and stay on top of your filter media cleaning.

Best of luck, they are one of the few fish that actually become pets due to their personality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.