The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a 75 gallon tank for 3 fancy goldfish -- one fantail and two mixed breeds that have a fantail-like body but a single tail. (They are the offspring of a mixed breed pond.)

-What brand/size sand do you like? I want to use a sand but not a type that is so fine it'll get sucked into the filter and damage the propeller. I do plan to wrap filter floss around the intake.

-Will goldfish move the sand bed around and expose the bottom while sifting for food? I plan to put a layer of egg crate down so I can put in some large boulders for decoration. But I don't want the egg crate exposed.

-I know goldfish are plant eaters. In your experience, what plants will survive goldfish? How does val fare?

-Is driftwood safe for goldfish? I've read some will tear their fins, etc.

-Anything else I should know about a goldfish setup?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I'm setting up a 75 gallon tank for 3 fancy goldfish -- one fantail and two mixed breeds that have a fantail-like body but a single tail. (They are the offspring of a mixed breed pond.)

-What brand/size sand do you like? I want to use a sand but not a type that is so fine it'll get sucked into the filter and damage the propeller. I do plan to wrap filter floss around the intake.

-Will goldfish move the sand bed around and expose the bottom while sifting for food? I plan to put a layer of egg crate down so I can put in some large boulders for decoration. But I don't want the egg crate exposed.

-I know goldfish are plant eaters. In your experience, what plants will survive goldfish? How does val fare?

-Is driftwood safe for goldfish? I've read some will tear their fins, etc.

-Anything else I should know about a goldfish setup?

Thanks.
Any regular aquarium sand is not going to get kicked up and thrown into a filter (canister filter?) without a truly insane amount of flow that would blow your goldfish end over end. Personally I prefer pool filter sand because its cheap, already washed, and slightly larger grain size then some sand options.

Put down 2 inches and while the gold fish will constantly dig, they won't uncover your egg crate.

Do not wrap your intake in filter floss. If you want to use a prefilter sponge you can but it won't matter, sand is not getting into your impeller. Regular aquarium gunk will so normal maintenance is always required.

If you use driftwood it needs to have smooth edges, nothing that can catch on their fins because fancy goldfish are terrible swimmers.

Biggest issue for most people with goldfish is keeping them cold enough. You want them in the 60s if possible, 72 or less if you can't get there. This means putting them somewhere special like a basement, or using a fan blowing on the surface to chill the water through evaporation. I've never kept them with plants so can't help you there. Good luck!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any regular aquarium sand is not going to get kicked up and thrown into a filter (canister filter?) without a truly insane amount of flow that would blow your goldfish end over end. Personally I prefer pool filter sand because its cheap, already washed, and slightly larger grain size then some sand options.

Put down 2 inches and while the gold fish will constantly dig, they won't uncover your egg crate.

Do not wrap your intake in filter floss. If you want to use a prefilter sponge you can but it won't matter, sand is not getting into your impeller. Regular aquarium gunk will so normal maintenance is always required.

If you use driftwood it needs to have smooth edges, nothing that can catch on their fins because fancy goldfish are terrible swimmers.

Biggest issue for most people with goldfish is keeping them cold enough. You want them in the 60s if possible, 72 or less if you can't get there. This means putting them somewhere special like a basement, or using a fan blowing on the surface to chill the water through evaporation. I've never kept them with plants so can't help you there. Good luck!
Thank you for the input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts