The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have two goldfish and I was wondering if I could put them in my planted tank will they eat my plants or will they be fine ? Could use the help

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
There are a lot of plants that Golds will not eat, but I have only a limited list.
Things like Anubias, Java Fern, Bolbitis.
If you do a search here with the word Goldfish I think you will find more than one thread about planted tanks with Golds.

I have them in a greenhouse pond, and the plants are all emersed, nothing under water. They eat duckweed, but the other tanks are growing it faster than they are eating it. Maybe I need more Golds?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help ! Really appreciate it also when I was doing a water change I noticed this small white hair for a moment I thought it was just some hair haha but it was moving like a worm do you know what it could be ?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Skimming through one such post:
Feed them daily with salad/plant based foods. Kale seems to be a favorite. Dandelion and beet greens.

Ludwigia Repens
Cryptocoryne Crispatula var. Balansae
Red jungle Val
Corkscrew val
Amazon sword
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
Water sprite
Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis
Dwarf Sag
Pennywort

Vals- but keep feeding plenty of vegetables or else these may get eaten.
Maybe any of several Swords
NOT Java Moss or Subwassertang
Maybe Pennywort- nibbled, but fast grower vs. gets uprooted.
NOT frogbit (I do not know which species they were talking about)
Crypts
Wisteris gets nipped a bit, but grows fast.
Sag gets nibbled, but only when they lack other salad.
Hornwort can get bitten, not sure if they eat it.

There is a lot more to this thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=156649&highlight=goldfish

Bump: A thin white worm, most are detritus eaters, and most fish will eat the worms.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I only found anubis and melon swords survived my goldies when I had them. They ate everything else. Peas and duckweed were their favorite snacks.

You'll need to be creative to keep them from being pulled up and dragged around the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts