The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my sister has goldfish at her work. And over the last few weeks that've been developing 'red sores' that have gone from bad to worse.

I first asked her to clean the tank - such as doing 30% water changes every so often for a couple weeks, clean the filter and ensuring proper water conditioner is used. To no avail.

She works at a daycare and the kids are getting distressed.

I asked her to bring me a sample of the water, and everything (pH, KH, GH, NH4, NO2 & NO3) all check out!

Imgur album of the photos that she provided (small sores at the start, sores + white in the middle were yesterday):

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I've done a bit of research and couldn't find anything conclusive - other than it might be fungus (although what they seem to have differs, as in red + white rather than one or the other).

If anyone could help that would be fantastic! Thanks :)

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I'm not an excerpt on fungus/diseases on goldfish but I do keep some. Doing daily 90% water changes is the first major step-often just keeping the water perfectly clean with huge water changes helps fish issues. Make sure new water added is about the same temp as tank water and remember to dechlorinate (i dose for whole volume of tank).
Something to note those are a single tailed goldfish, they grow large (over 12") and need a minimum 4 foot tank (longer is better) as they get bigger-better to get a larger tank now rather than later when they start making the nitrate levels spike. Minimum recommend size for 1 single tail goldfish is 40gs, + 20gs for each additional fish. What size tank is that? I'm guessing 10gs.
I'd also recommend posting over at koko'sgoldfish for more species specific help: https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/10-disease-diagnosis-treatments/
copy-paste and fill this out when you make the thread: https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116133-help-request-check-list/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.