The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw this at the lfs and fell in love with it, had to get 3 lol.
If you have this fish could you share your experience.
I know they'll eat what every they can get in their mouth.
I have a 56g planted with a hollowed out stump full of ghost shrimp. I will be putting 2 dwarf puffers in,in a month.
A flounder ( Puppy tounge). View attachment 34783

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have two of them, both male. One is a little bigger than the other and chases him, but they do alright. They actually got big pretty quickly, grew maybe a half inch in a month. I would keep an eye on your shrimp, some might disappear. But they are beautiful and very active, they're coloring improved a lot since the pet store.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Those ghost shrimp will all be gone in a matter of time. They are very cool fish and yes they will jump if the top is not covered well.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Those ghost shrimp will all be gone in a matter of time. They are very cool fish and yes they will jump if the top is not covered well.
True that, had two of them in a tank at work, and in one night they ate 6 harlequin rasboras... I didn't think they were quite big enough to eat them... I thought wrong.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tanks completely covered. I'm hoping ill have a sustained population of ghost shrimp, unless they figure out how to get inside the stump.
When I was acclimating I put them in a cup to start the drip.
Went to bathroom when I came back only 2 where in cup the other was laying on the floor.
Threw him back in cup and covered.
I've been feeding them flightless fruit flies.
Next week I'll start dosing the tank with blood worms.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Tanks completely covered. I'm hoping ill have a sustained population of ghost shrimp, unless they figure out how to get inside the stump.
When I was acclimating I put them in a cup to start the drip.
Went to bathroom when I came back only 2 where in cup the other was laying on the floor.
Threw him back in cup and covered.
I've been feeding them flightless fruit flies.
Next week I'll start dosing the tank with blood worms.

These fish will pick off those ghost shrimp one at a time until there is none left. And as far as having a population of ghost shrimp the only way to do that will be to keep going to the store and buying more. Ghost shrimp have to go through a larval stage and raising the shrimp to adulthood is not that easy.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These fish will pick off those ghost shrimp one at a time until there is none left. And as far as having a population of ghost shrimp the only way to do that will be to keep going to the store and buying more. Ghost shrimp have to go through a larval stage and raising the shrimp to adulthood is not that easy.
That's why I said hope. Lol.If not they run a quarter a piece here.
I don't mine treats every once an a while.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Killifish, from my readings, are notorious for killing and consuming other fish/inverts in tanks. My GF wanted these real bad - wasn't going to happen lol. It's one of the types of fish I simply stay clear of..they seem more like species only than the community type.

Your puffers, however, will probably nip at the fins of these killies. If the dwarf puffer is small enough, the killi may swallow it.

Just keep an eye on them :p

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My dps are fat they took care of my mts problem.
There about 3/4 inch,and close to just as round.
I will be keeping an eye out when I put them in.
They will be put back in the 29g if I think they can't handle themselves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.