The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have conflicting information on the Golden Wonder Killifish

One website said its Peaceful and another said its Semi-Aggressive?

I have a small one and it seem peaceful to me and just skims the surface and eats flakes. I have not seem him chase a single fish or attack or eat any other fish.

Has anyone experience any aggression from this fish? Eating other fish, attacking, etc... Maybe its a peaceful fish when small but semi-aggressive when it gets bigger?

Please let me know your experience with this fish?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It depends. They will attack and eat much smaller fish. However, they shouldn't be a problem with fish their own size or larger.

I had some and had to find a new home for them because they were going after my small tetras. Keep in mind that they grow and what is ok today might be a problem later.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends. They will attack and eat much smaller fish. However, they shouldn't be a problem with fish their own size or larger.

I had some and had to find a new home for them because they were going after my small tetras. Keep in mind that they grow and what is ok today might be a problem later.
You say the same size or larger. I read online that this fish gets like 4-inches big. So my only fish larger than that is my Gourami and Denison barb, all the other fish in my aquarium are much smaller with is like 90% of the fish.

What Tetra were they going after? Like Glowlight, Neon, etc...?

If so, I am going to have to move this fish to a different tank.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'd say the max is closer to 3 inches. They would go after any small tetra or rasbora once they got larger. That is anything about the size of a large neon.

That's why I had to find them a new home. Otherwise I really do like the fish.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say the max is closer to 3 inches. They would go after any small tetra or rasbora once they got larger. That is anything about the size of a large neon.

That's why I had to find them a new home. Otherwise I really do like the fish.
I like the fish as well especially when I thought it was just a surface dweller which once in a while would explore the middle of the aquariums with some fantastic sparkling colors.

Now that I know 90% of my aquarium is in danger, I avoided buying anymore of them at the Petco sale and I guess I am going to have to plan for a new home for him when he gets big.

I wonder how long they take to get big.

What a shame.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Killiefish usually grow fast, but Golden Wonder Killifish are a bit slower than some of the other. Even so, keep an eye on them.

Of course, you can always use this as a reason to set up an additional tank to house them, and keep larger fish in it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arowana

Killiefish usually grow fast, but Golden Wonder Killifish are a bit slower than some of the other. Even so, keep an eye on them.

Of course, you can always use this as a reason to set up an additional tank to house them, and keep larger fish in it.
Like what, an Arowana or something ?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Well, you could, but the arowana would eat the golder wonder killifish. (grin)

I was thinking more along the line of verious rainbow fish or large tetras like congo tetras, or larger barbs.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, you could, but the arowana would eat the golder wonder killifish. (grin)

I was thinking more along the line of verious rainbow fish or large tetras like congo tetras, or larger barbs.
Oh, ok. That makes much more sense. :grin2:

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.