The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have three Gold zebra loaches that always hide in the rocks, they do come out for food but soon as u enter the room they run and hide.
I was gonna buy 2-3 more but the pet shops dont stock them any more. what can i do to make them more active and can i add any other loaches to the tank as ive read they like to be in groups of 5 or more?
Thanks

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I have the very same fish you have. I have 5. That's their natural behavior sorry to say. They're a bit more bold in moonlight and lights off conditions though. They're not the best fish in a planted tank but I'm stuck with them. They are smart and playful when they want to be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont have any dither fish. what ones would u suggest?
When i brought them at the LFS they were in a tank with a big bit of driftwood and wernt shy at all

·
Registered
357 Posts
Are these botia histrionica?
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-histronica
I have five in with 7 botia kubotai and they are a bit more reclusive than the kubotai, but I see plenty of them. They have become my favorites! Love their disposition and they get more beautiful as they grow and their stripes break up.
Dither fish may help as well as more of the same species as already suggested. Give them plenty of cover/places to hide so they feel safe.
How big is your tank? What else is with them??

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
you have plenty of 'dither' fish.

A 55G or 75G is best for them, more room to play around. Like I mentioned before, too much light will make them hide. And give them time to adjust to your tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill work on getting a lower watt bulb.
since im moving the guppies to another tank what other dither fish could i put in there?
its hard to get bigger tanks were i live, unless you get them custom made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.