The Planted Tank Forum banner

Gold Tetra not eating?

1556 12
So I have just started a 20 gallon tank (Has currently been cycled for about 5 days) and I have the current fish in the tank - 6 porkchop rasboras, 6 gold tetras and 3 skunk cory cats. The tank has been doing "OK" so far I guess. I am kinda worried for the gold tetras, every fish in the tank has been eating but the tetras. Whenever I put in flakes the rasboras usually get most of it since they stay at the top of the tank anyway, but the tetras don't even try to go up and even when food does drop down and go near the tetras they kinda look at it and leave it alone. I suspect this is because they are still stressed from the move, or still kinda shy and need to get comfy. Any help would be appreciated. :smile2:
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Probably still stressed. Give them a week and then start getting worried. If that does happen, then maybe try offering frozen foods, or some way of another enticing treat. Were they eating when you bought them?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were not eating when we bought them, they were hanging out in a school kind of in the back of the tank. I have tried to feed bloodworms in the tank, the rasboras ate them, I did see the gold tetras go a little crazy but never come up. I may consider buying brine shrimp and see how they tackle that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I started my tank 3 weeks ago, well that's when I put the gravel in and water, at first I used bacteria supplement, which did not work at all. So I switched to quick start by API. I put in my plants and wood and such I think 1.5 weeks ago I would say. So it took about 3 weeks or so too cycle. Everything was at 0 before I put in the fish so I thought it was going to be OK, but then when I did put in my fish, my nitrite had a spike, going into a .1 or so. I have been putting in more prime and such, it has been going down a little. I am thinking of doing a water change or just letting it go back down.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I think I started my tank 3 weeks ago, well that's when I put the gravel in and water, at first I used bacteria supplement, which did not work at all. So I switched to quick start by API. I put in my plants and wood and such I think 1.5 weeks ago I would say. So it took about 3 weeks or so too cycle. Everything was at 0 before I put in the fish so I thought it was going to be OK, but then when I did put in my fish, my nitrite had a spike, going into a .1 or so. I have been putting in more prime and such, it has been going down a little. I am thinking of doing a water change or just letting it go back down.
So if I have this right you added quick start and in 3 weeks your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate were at 0? Do you have a test kit and can you test all 3 of those again? Were you adding ammonia or did you have any live stock in the tank during your cycle period?

Dan

·
Registered
214 Posts
Try pea's and or garlic soaked food. Make the garlic minced and add water and let some food soak up the juice and apply to the tank. Don't be cheap and buy minced garlic at the store.

I am with @Dman911 on this... it is great you added the bacteria starter but without any food it would have gone no where quick. Food being ammonia from live stock, rotting food, ammonia drops, ect.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Try pea's and or garlic soaked food. Make the garlic minced and add water and let some food soak up the juice and apply to the tank. Don't be cheap and buy minced garlic at the store.

I am with @Dman911 on this... it is great you added the bacteria starter but without any food it would have gone no where quick. Food being ammonia from live stock, rotting food, ammonia drops, ect.
Exactly where I was headed :)

Dan

·
Registered
990 Posts
you can lead a camel to the water, but you cannot make it drink.

all you can do its put the food in, the rest is up to the fishie.

usually takes time for fishes to get comfortable enough to come out and eat. how long? usually couple days in my experiences.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, to answer your question I did not put any fish to help the cycling process, I did add food pretending there was fish in there every now and then.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aw, I got it. I fed the tank brine shrimp a little bit ago, the tetras ate most of it. I am going to guess they were shy, every time I come near the tank they have to hide out in a corner of the tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.