The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I have a 130gallon community setup with a male pearl gourami and a female gold gourami. When I put in the gold gourami the pearl one would chase it a lot but now they get along other then the odd disagreement. My buddy is getting rid of his tank and he has 2 gold gouramis to give me. He thinks they are female.
I know that gold gouramis are a bit territorial do you think that 3 of them would get along with each other and with the pearl male?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I've only ever had one gold, and he was mean. I had him in a 55 community tank with an opaline, and he nearly killed the opaline (both were male, didn't know at the time that was a bad idea). I gave him away because I liked the opaline better. I've never had any luck keeping multiple gouramis in a tank, but I've also never done it in a tank as big as yours. If you try it, I would have a backup home ready for the extra gouramis.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am basically running a pet fish tank with my 6 inch full grown three spot blue gourami. He kills anything I put in the tank. I have a planted tank so I can't put a cichlid in there. I was thinking about maybe a red tail shark could hold it's own. In the end I just dumped a crap load of Japanese Trapdoor snails in there to look at. The Gourami is easily confused as to what they are.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Gold Gouramis are actually the same species as the Twin Spot, Blue and Opaline are. These are just different color morphs of the same kind of fish. When together, they can get unpredictably insanely aggressive and establish a very hostile pecking order. In fact, I had to take one Gold Gourami out of my tank and return it to a fish store. The owner put it in one of his tanks and the Gouramis in his tank went nuts on it even though it was larger than the fish in the tank were.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I kept a 20 gallon high with 3 female gouramis (opaline x gold spawn) and they didnt do too bad. One female was the largest and would dominate the others. They moved up to a 40 gal but then I sold them for stocking room. Nothing serious happened in terms of aggression, but it can be luck of the draw sometimes with their personalities. My friend that took the other half of the spawn said one female killed an opaline female of hers.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I've got a male and female opaline in my 55 gal with a male and female dwarf gourami pair along with a bunch of other community fish.

The floating water sprite really helps keep the peace. Although when the male opaline gets rowdy, most of the fish in the tank just lose him in the plants. Lately both pairs have made attempts at breeding. Both males attempted to make bubble nests in the floating water sprite.

Maybe some floaters in your tank would help tone down the aggression.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my gold and pearl gourami seem to get along pretty good although the pearl is defiantly the dominate one even thou he's smaller (he was in the tank first thou) I think i'm going to pass on putting 2 more gold ones in. Thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gold size?

ige got 2gold 2opaline and 2 blue and 2 pearl gourami in a 72 gallon with other fish and mine all get along fine

Hi, I was wondering what size your Gold Gourami are at this point. I keep hearing they get pretty mean/aggressive as the get older/larger.

I currently have 1 Pearl and 2 Gold. The Pearl was there first and remains the "Queen of the tank". She shoves the Golds out of the way anytime they get close. She's currently much larger than the two Golds. I have visions of them getting bigger than she is and ganging up on her. :eek:

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've kept Gold Gouramis in a couple different tanks over the years.

Currently, I have a 75 gallon with 5 Golds (2 male, 3 female). They chase each other, but nothing aggressive and no fighting. The tank has lots of driftwood branches and plants, so they are able to stay out of each other's sight. I added all 5 of these at the same time, I think once they get established and territorial it is more difficult to introduce new gouramis.

In the past I have kept various gouramis together - dwarfs, thick-lips, paradise, giants, blues, opalines... IMO, it is impossible to predict which ones will be aggressive. I always try to have more females than males. And do not populate too thick in the tank, make sure they will have enough space to avoid one another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.