The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I'd really love to keep a single/pair of dojo loaches but I'm worried that my tank may be over stocked with them or they may just not be suited for the aquarium.

The Tank:
200L-52G
Heavily planted
Temp 23-24Degrees C
Fluval 306
Airstone
JBL Manado substrate
Various driftwood and rocks

The Fish:
10 black skirt tetras
3 zebra danios
5 black neon tetras
5 Kuhli loaches
3 Cory cats
2 juvenile albino ancistrus
Ramshorn, nerite and Malaysian trumpet snails

I do weekly 20% water changes and clean the filter every 2 months. Haven't had a fish die in the tank yet and have had one outbreak of ich which lasted a week.

So guys let me know if I can handle one or two of these fish, and if you have any advise about the tank I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Technically they would be compatible. Though they may eat snails once they get large enough.

However, when I was researching the Cobitis loaches I keep, I came across these videos of Dojo/Weather loaches (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus). It may change your mind about them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asB8-oDOjf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuzYJXIQx8s
The ones thrashing around, plowing into plants and other fish are the dojo loaches. Cobitis are the slimmer, shorter, gentle fish.

I've wanted to keep Dojo/weather loaches myself, but they do get pretty large, and once I saw their eating reckless eating behavior, I decided to pass on them. They are peaceful fish as in they won't attack or bully other fish, but it seems they just are bulldozers, plowing into things at feeding time. They may uproot or damage plants in the process. But since I haven't kept them myself, or seen many videos of them feeding, I can't say the behavior exhibited in this video is the norm, they may have been starving, just favorite live bloodworms, or this just may be how they always eat??? Can't speak from experience. I do know that dojo loaches are pigs, they eat a ton, so I would be worried about the other bottom dwellers starving, so be sure to feed extra.

Well get your info on them here
Misgurnus anguillicaudatus ? Oriental Weather Loach ? Seriously Fish

They do like to have a sand substrate (sift sand through gills to catch food, and easier on their skin/bellies), but I don't say it's completely required. Have a good lid too.

There is some talk though about the gold dojo loaches. Apparently there is actually two different genus/species of the gold variety. One stays a lot slimmer and smaller overall (may be a gentler fish as well). There is another that gets just a long and girthy as regular/wild dojo/weather loaches. Not just male/female differences. Care should be identical though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, I do love the Cobitis loach, however I seriously doubt I would be able to get some where I live. After reading a bit and the points you've made I think I might just sick to my kuhlis. I'll just add 5 more the their group :)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Haha woops. I completely forgot to mention. Social fish should be kept in a minimum group size of 6. Note minimum (some of these fish are found in groups of hundreds, even thousands, in nature).
So I would increase the numbers for Zebra Danios, Black Neon Tetras, Kuhli loaches and Cory cats.
You've got plenty of room to make each group meet their minimum size, and even room to add more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The dojo weatherloach fits well with most fish. But they prefer colder temperature than most fish. 74 75 is the max I'd use but they rather colder than that. Also they are very active and tend to disturb more relaxed tank mates. I have 4 kuhli loaches, 3 bristlenose plecos.1 mystery snail and 4 clown loaches with my golden 4 inch dojo weatherloach. And recently removed my male betta because he was getting disturbed to much when the weather changed and got bad outside. I keep my temp at 75 for everyone to be comfortable, but I'm not happy with it so I'm going to move the dojo loach to another tank and get another dojo for company and maybe a couple more cold water fish. Also the dojo can be greedy with food and will bully and guard food from others.

Your tank size and set up sounds like you could have a few dojo loaches. I have only one because of my tank size and other loach tank mates.

I keep up sizing my aquarium and I eventually want to have 6 clown loaches and at least a dozen kuhli loaches. I will have to do more research on what other tank mates that will suit my aquarium. Perferably something with a long life span like loaches

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Aprildevost1, sounds like you are working toward half a dozen tanks: Warmest, large for Clown Loaches, warm, does not have to be so large for Kuhlies, cooler, fairly large for Dojos, separate tank for Betta... Welcome to MTS- Multiple Tank Syndrome. ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.