The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I was back from holiday, I found my betta dead on the floor. :( My fault for not covering his 3.5g tank... I thought I do not need to cover since I had him all these long and he never jumped... ughh... i love the guy and it's been a sad few days.

But, now the tank is empty, and I am thinking to make it an all-shrimp tank. I still have some ADA soil left, so Im gonna use that. I just need a new hob filter.. but I'd like to know some stuffs:

1. how many shrimp to put in that 3.5g? 10? 20?
2. what does shrimp eat? can i give them the same flakes that my fish eats?
3. i plan to put an oto in there as well, will oto eat the shrimp?
4. I read somewhere that shrimp jumps! so a cover is a must?

So far that's all. I'll be returning if there are other questions.

·
Banned
220 Posts
your shrimp wont jump i think they mean that in how they sometimes jump in water, also 10 shrimp would be a good number if you also have an oto because you dont want to have your tank crawling with 20 shrimp+babies, my amanos were crafty enough to find out they can swim to the top and grab flakes but get algae wafers just in case. i suggest getting sunkist shrimp or glass shrimp they look really cool in a rimless and coverless tank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Amano shrimp sometimes crawl out of a tank, but I've never heard of dwarf shrimp like cherries doing so.

Indeed, if you net them, they just fall to their sides, limp and helpless, while amanos stand upright and start crawling.

·
Banned
943 Posts
I've had CRS jump and dry out. Better safe than sorry.
ditto. Dont know how they did it but they did. And ive actually watched a healthy crs crawl out of water. Wasent fast and didnt look like it was having fun but it could.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I find an occasional shrimp on the floor around my standard 90g. The 3g rimless though I've never had a problem with them getting out of the tank. The only thing over the edge in the 3g is the HOB filter. The 90g has two intakes and returns plus the heater cord. I think they crawl up that equipment to escape.

I see them crawling up the returns in the HOB's here at my shop all the time. A good inch or so above the water line. lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Betta Just died a few days ago too...he had his second bad encounter with the filter and couldn't survive this second one...anyways I like the shrimp idea I wish I would have thought about that before. I now have some Von Rio Tetras they are pretty interesting

·
Registered
712 Posts
In 3G, you could have as many as 20+ shrimp as long as we're talking about the dwarf shrimp ..CRS/RCS/etc.

I personally don't like tops but after two newts (one escaped even with a top), an african dwarf frog and four rasboras that jumped out (when I first got my tank)- only the rasboras died....no more.

I have a aluminum mesh that goes on top of my tank. It does block some of the light out but haven't lost a fish/invert/reptile to escaping in a long time.

I have seen a rasbora jump out of the water, hit my mesh, what seemed like being dazed, and then go back to normal lol.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I had a dwarf frog escape as well. My dog was going nuts chasing something on the floor. He jumped from like 6feet or so too. I'm surprised my dog didn't squish it or something, hes about 190lbs. lol. Scooped him up, moved him to a 2.5gal with a screen lid. lol.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My GF's brother found hers roaming in the kitchen. Unlike fish and other inverts the African Dwarf Frog and newts we had can survive out of the water for a while....the problem isn't breathing but drying out.

I still don't know how the AFD managed to get out..those guys were, so I thought, pretty reliable in terms of staying in the tank. I was certainly surprised to hear it when one escaped.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Amano shrimp sometimes crawl out of a tank, but I've never heard of dwarf shrimp like cherries doing so.

Indeed, if you net them, they just fall to their sides, limp and helpless, while amanos stand upright and start crawling.
Fortunatly I havent had my ammano crawl out of the tank. I leave my tank open to.

But they leave the tank cause something bad is happening in the tank.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My GF's brother found hers roaming in the kitchen. Unlike fish and other inverts the African Dwarf Frog and newts we had can survive out of the water for a while....the problem isn't breathing but drying out.

I still don't know how the AFD managed to get out..those guys were, so I thought, pretty reliable in terms of staying in the tank. I was certainly surprised to hear it when one escaped.
I beg to differ. Mine jumped out and got dry when I was gone for a week as well.

From what I read, they are notorious jumpers anyway.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well, I meant to say My guys lol. I know that some people say that they always jump out.

They only go up for air and never lounge around the top. Its up to the top for air and crashing back down into the substrate under some log/rock/plant. After 4 weeks of this, I didn't think they'd jump out. Alas, I was wrong lol.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Well, I meant to say My guys lol. I know that some people say that they always jump out.

They only go up for air and never lounge around the top. Its up to the top for air and crashing back down into the substrate under some log/rock/plant. After 4 weeks of this, I didn't think they'd jump out. Alas, I was wrong lol.
If your water is calm and there are no threats in the tank, they can float around the top of thank for an hour or so just lounging. Mine was in the tank for about 7 months before jumping out 1 day, so it can happen anytime.

Heres a pic of one of mine floating.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ya, mine don't really do that. There aren't any threats in there for them but the higher columns of water are saturated with fish.

These guys are real funny though - they'll land in my plants and just stay there for a few minutes. They'll swimming up and fall backwards...funny clowns are what they are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.