The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'm not even going to bother reading that. I read some absolutely horrid reviews about Best Buy a while back re: customer service and other issues. I've told my husband that we could buy from them but NOT with the expectation of any kind of customer service. Fortunately we've never seen anything there that we felt that we absolutely had to have.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
yeah. best buy is a scamming joke of a company. I avoid buying from them as much as possible. For a much better alternitive I just hit Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! for most of my computer and electronic needs.
no need to deal with their bait and switch rebate crap. Or piss poor service from kids that act like they know what they are talking about when all they know is how to read a label and what their MGR's tell them they need to push because of the higher markups. They are also repremanded if they don't push their worthless service plans. Their techs have limited to no exp and little to no actual training on hardware repair. as a whole they are a joke of a company. But dumb people shop there, and sadly there are lots of dumb people in this world.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I try to buy my electronics from Walmart, if something breaks they will atleast give you store credit so that you can buy groceries :tongue: .

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Costco is also a good place to buy electronics. Altho I hear their policy on computers is about to change becuase of too many people taking advantage of their return policy.
but of course all this is reliant on people doing their own research on the electronics they are buying before going to the store. When you start asking salesmen what you should buy you are putting yourself in a position to get taken for a ride.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I try to buy my electronics from Walmart, if something breaks they will atleast give you store credit so that you can buy groceries :tongue: .
one ethically questionable company vs. another.:biggrin:

although it will take a long time for most to catch up with wally!:help:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'd have to say the worst place to buy electronics is Target. Any opened electronics cannot be returned for ANY reason. Even if it never worked right out of the box all they will do is give you the phone # and address where you can get warranty repair. They absolutely DO NOT back up any product they sell. I never buy anything worth more than $25 from Target.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
That's why I shop at newegg. I like it b/c of the cheap prices, rebates, discounts, free(or discounted) shipping and good selection. Also, if you want to research a specific brand and/or product, there will likely be 10+ user reviews on it so you can be (pretty) sure that you can trust it. More reliable than asking a salesman for advice, or simply "winging it".
My wife talked me into buying a pre-boxed comp at Best buy, but I ended up upgrading most of the components with stuff from Newegg, plus we just bought a digital camera from them. Shipping is fast too.
Occasionally I'll buy things from (gulp) Wal mart, but its just when I can't find something cheaper elsewhere --- sorry, I go with the best deals, period.
I'm a bit leary of shopping for large items from them again, however, after the big ordeal with them over their online prices vs in store prices.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I bought a HP computer from Best Buy last October and I had them to install PC-cillin, Spy Sweeper, and Microsoft Office Student Teacher. When I got it after the installation, everything was really goofy and locked up many times. It was in and out of the Geek Squad for the first two months. I was pissed. Finally there was a person that really new how to fix computers and it's doing fine now.

I got a questionnaire email from HP asking me how I liked the computer so far. I answered them that HP was fine but I had a lot of trouble with the Geek Squad. About five minutes later the phone rang and it was a rep from HP asking me the specifics about my Best Buy problems. That made me figure that there was something going on.

I'm glad that you provided the links, wantplantsnotwork!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Newegg.com is the place to go.
Great variety of products & prices.
It's definitely worth the wait, because sometimes shipping prices are also low.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Can't help but put another vote in for newegg.com. Even tho it's not a vote ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yea i stopped going to best buy about 4 yrs ago, as i didnt like what they carried and it was too expensive. The last time i was there i was looking around for a new computer and they couldnt answer a quarter of the questions i asked. I decided to build my own after that. Now i just go to best buy to kill time and get kicks out of the prices they sell stuff at...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The GeekSquad is freaking worthless. I swear they hire these idiots straight out of high school. A professional fixes something the first time, not four times and three months later (as the case for my mom's computer).

"Hey you took a typing class? Welcome to the GeekSquad!"

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Well I know where I'm not going...

I haven't been there for a while because of problems I've had with them as well...

Sell your stocks now 5 yrs I bet they will be gone, long gone if this keeps up!

-Andrew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts