The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Oahu in mid to late august. Any good Lfs around the touristy part of Oahu by the beach. I forget what hotel were staying at but were going to be there for a week. So I would rather spend money at Lfs than the swapmeet flea market or the mall.

Any ideas guys. And any ideas on mailing plants or anything like that back to the mainland. Or is it just illegal to mail plants to and from because of customs even though it's technically part of the United States?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The Bahama's are cheaper because there are no taxes. Can't help you on the customs thingy but any island has much higher prices usually because everything is imported to them. A thought to keep in mind when you shop...as in is this not available where I live.
That would be a reason(and usually accounts for x amount of on-line sales)which would
justify paying a higher price. In fact...look in the sales section as I think a couple of people from there have adds in the "for sale" section.
Last but not least...I get plants from Malaysia...takes 20 days in dark...still alive
when they get to me, just in poor condition so 5-7 days should be OK.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Pretty much all the good shops are between the airport and Waikiki. There`s Aquascapes, Kahala Petland, pets plus/moanalua pets (same owner), kalihi pets and a bit farther out Coral Fish Hawaii.
All plant products are supposed to be inspected before leaving the state by the federal dept of agriculture (I think, could be some other federal agency but it is the feds and not the state).

·
Registered
907 Posts
top 3 pet stores to see when you come to OAHU!!!

Aquascapes, Meet Manini Himself
Kahala Pet Land Meet Scott, the plant scientist genius haha nah he's really smart tho
Coral Fish they have some AWESOME stuff. including REEF stuff.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Pretty much all the good shops are between the airport and Waikiki. There`s Aquascapes, Kahala Petland, pets plus/moanalua pets (same owner), kalihi pets and a bit farther out Coral Fish Hawaii.
All plant products are supposed to be inspected before leaving the state by the federal dept of agriculture (I think, could be some other federal agency but it is the feds and not the state).
Customs inspects the outgoing stuff. Best to ship ahead of time

·
Registered
548 Posts
Customs inspects the outgoing stuff. Best to ship ahead of time
It's definitely not customs that does the inspections. Even mail shipments require inspection.

Here's the info:
"Hawaii Department of Agriculture’s (HDOA) Plant Quarantine Branch regulates the export of nursery products (propagative plants) to the mainland U.S. and certain foreign countries by certifying that the shipment meets the requirements of the state or country of destination.

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulates the export of cut-flowers, foliage and fruits from Hawaii to the mainland U.S. and propagative plants to foreign countries. Anyone who has traveled to the mainland is familiar with the mandatory USDA baggage inspection at the airports for agricultural materials. For more information, link to the USDA-Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) website by clicking here.

HDOA Plant Quarantine inspectors, in cooperation with USDA inspectors, are able to inspect and certify plant materials intended for shipment to the mainland U.S. See Chapter 4-73, Plant Export Rules in PDF format, for more information." From: http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/pq/export-program/

·
Registered
635 Posts
It's definitely not customs that does the inspections. Even mail shipments require inspection.

Here's the info:
"Hawaii Department of Agriculture’s (HDOA) Plant Quarantine Branch regulates the export of nursery products (propagative plants) to the mainland U.S. and certain foreign countries by certifying that the shipment meets the requirements of the state or country of destination.

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulates the export of cut-flowers, foliage and fruits from Hawaii to the mainland U.S. and propagative plants to foreign countries. Anyone who has traveled to the mainland is familiar with the mandatory USDA baggage inspection at the airports for agricultural materials. For more information, link to the USDA-Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) website by clicking here.

HDOA Plant Quarantine inspectors, in cooperation with USDA inspectors, are able to inspect and certify plant materials intended for shipment to the mainland U.S. See Chapter 4-73, Plant Export Rules in PDF format, for more information." From: http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/pq/export-program/
Ah thanks for the info didn't know. When I last spoke to Doa they was saying they short handed and federal customs was handling exporting. With all these Invasive species coming in rhino beetle, tropical fire ant, coqui frog, aroprimas they wanted to focus on the importing and crack down on illegal importation. But that's what I heard when I spoke to DOA

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ah thanks for the info didn't know. When I last spoke to Doa they was saying they short handed and federal customs was handling exporting. With all these Invasive species coming in rhino beetle, tropical fire ant, coqui frog, aroprimas they wanted to focus on the importing and crack down on illegal importation. But that's what I heard when I spoke to DOA
Well, that's the way its published and that's the way its supossed to work. If there are temporary means in place to have other government agencies assist then that is a definite possiblity but I think the jurisdiction still falls under the USDA. While the illegal imports and evasive species are important and detrimental to Hawaii, in the whole scheme of things allowing some of Hawaii's pests into the US could be a greater impact to a number of different states. The important thing to note is that it falls under federal agencies and violation is a federal offense, not just a local one.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So basicaly I can mail plants back home. Cali. If it's not illegal to send across state lines. It's not on the invasive species list, and it's not ilegal to have in Cali? Btw thanks everyone for sending me pms and offers. I'll be point you sometimes this week.

·
Registered
548 Posts
How would you go about having it inspected?

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/pq/travel-shipping-information/shipping-from-hawaiʻi-to-the-u-s-mainland/

You go over to the inspection office with the plants and your box/package ready to ship but unsealed. They will essentially inspect, pack and seal the shipping box then place an ag stamp over the seal. I think they then give you back the box to ship. I think you could also hand-carry it back after its been sealed but you'd have to check with the office about that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.