The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my love of inverts spawned from planted tanks is leading me in the direction of attempting a small invert-only reef tank. Anyone know of any good forums like this one for saltwater? Or have any informative websites to point me toward in general? Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
reefcentral is a great site too. I find it alot like here, just MUCH bigger. If you have had success with a fw planted tank, and with freshwater inverts, i dont think you should have any trouble at all keeping a reeftank going strong. SW is going to be more expensive to set up, but done right i bet you find it more stable than any FW tank you ever kept.

·
Anti iwagumi
4,808 Posts
RC = the PT of reefing. NR is kind of just one big lounge and facts can never be had without opinions.

Good luck with the reef :D you wont be able to stay small for long ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
reefcentral.com Go to the "reef club forums" at the bottom of the page and see if anyone in your area is selling stuff cheap to help you get started.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Some of those big tank builds on rc cost 20 to 100k or more! Great fun to follow all the detail, time and money spent to have a sps reef in your house. Nothing like 4000 ++ watts of light over a 600 gal aquarium with chillers, skimmers, calcium reactors, 200 gal sump filters, controllers and even dedicated electrical service panels and generators for backup...........fun fun fun
Makes the fresh water side of the hobby look almost silly! or maybe not!
MD

·
Registered
820 Posts
Brooklyn Aquarium Society

Capital Reef Aquarists Society (CRAS)

Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)

Manhattan Reefs

Northern New York Reef Society (NNYRS)

Upstate Reef Society (URS)

Google them. Societies are the absolute best resource for info, equipment, frags and pretty much anything reefy.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Wetwebmedia is also a great read forum for info, and the forum at marine depot has some great people who used to have their own forums at RC before a falling out. It's a great place to go and get answers. Let me know if I can help in any way. GL

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree that reefcentral is bigger and probably has a broader knowledge base, but if you are setting up a nano tank, nano-reef is a really good resource. Yeah, there are a lot of young newbies there with more energy and money than experience, but if you spend time weeding through the junk posts there are some smart people there with a lot of good info on setting up small reef tanks.

I second that wetwebmedia has good, well founded advice, but then generally don't have much positive to say about nano reef tanks.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Some of those big tank builds on rc cost 20 to 100k or more! Great fun to follow all the detail, time and money spent to have a sps reef in your house. Nothing like 4000 ++ watts of light over a 600 gal aquarium with chillers, skimmers, calcium reactors, 200 gal sump filters, controllers and even dedicated electrical service panels and generators for backup...........fun fun fun
Makes the fresh water side of the hobby look almost silly! or maybe not!
MD
I agree, I spend most of my time on RC looking through the Large Tank forum. I'm not really interested in reef-keeping all that much (however the fish are gorgeous compared to FW), but I do enjoy following those massive tank builds.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1601313&perpage=25&pagenumber=11

Probably one of the best designed systems I've seen; it does make our side of the hobby seem very low-tech.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good luck with your nano-reef and if you need any help or suggestions, pm me. I keep an 8 gallon and 20 gallon nano reef with sps, lps, softies, clams, inverts, etc. It's really not that expensive to keep a nano b/c you won't need alot of the equipment used to sustain larger tanks. In fact, since I'm still such a noob to the planted tank side of the hobby, imo reef tanks are way easier to keep stable, clean, and successful. Be sure and check the forums for the DIY aquaclear 300 refugium. I use it on the 20 gallon and it works great!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts