The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tank is high tech with 4 T5HO lights, tons of CO2 and EI ferts and it has a 800lph filter + 900lph wavemaker

My tank is a juwel Lido.150 liters 61cmx41cmx58cm

I have noticed that my fish don't come out so often because my flow is so strong (I use an intank bazooka diffuser). But when the 900lph wavemaker and Co2 is shut off, they all come out and swim around the tank.

As much as I love the plants I really do care for the fish and want them to come out more and enjoy the tank.

So I was wondering if I could reduce the lighting to 2 t5HO bulbs, cut the EI ferts in half. In addition, I would like to remove the wavemaker and put an Inline diffuser for my filter, that way I will have decent co2 levels and won't attract algae.

My plants are mostly moss (weeping, phoenix, mini Xmas and flame) and dwarf hairgrass.

My filter has a spray bar which I will mount at the back the tank.

So what do you guys think? Would this work

·
Registered
93 Posts
Would seem simple enough to remove the wave maker and replace it with a smaller, or several smaller pumps. I run 3 Korelia nano pumps in my 75 plus output from C220 canister filter. The smaller pumps give me a gentle sway to my plants, and distribute flow more evenly across the tank.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the wavermaker is a Korelia nano pump. i cant go any lower. i have pygmy gourami, scarlet badis and pymy cories which dont like the pumps flow. i wanted to know if i could just use an inline diffuser to produce better co2 to compensate for the lack of flow. this is so that i dont get algae issues

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Even a 2 bulb T5HO light, if it has good reflectors, gives you high light. I would use only 2 bulbs, but dose fertilizers as recommended for a high light tank. Also, adjust the CO2 bubble rate upwards a tiny bit at a time, watching the fish for distress, and watching how the plants grow for a few days before raising the bubble rate again. If the plants do better with the higher bubble rate and the fish aren't distressed, keep raising it. That lets you fine tune the CO2 to get the optimum concentration for your setup.

You do need good water circulation in the tank, and a rippled water surface, but not high speed water flow in the tank or splashing from the rippling. A Koralia type powerhead, with the output directed along the glass gives you good circulation and not excessive water velocity. If that output is also directed a bit upwards it also helps ripple the water surface.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.