The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question.. If I were to go inline with my needle valve and mount it above my water line would I still need a check valve? Trying to see what options I have.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
i have no personal experience with this, but the physics behind it would indicate you would still need the check valve.

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
Yes you'll need a check valve. Water can climb, it's called "capillary action".
Usually w/ our hose inside diameters this is usually not too important. Now creating a vacuum as CO2 migrates through the hose is another story..
;)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Usually w/ our hose inside diameters this is usually not too important. Now creating a vacuum as CO2 migrates through the hose is another story..
;)
From wikipedia:" If the diameter of the tube is sufficiently small, then the combination of surface tension (which is caused by cohesion within the liquid) and adhesive forces between the liquid and container act to lift the liquid. In short, the capillary action is due to the pressure of cohesion and adhesion which cause the liquid to work against gravity."

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
From wikipedia:" If the diameter of the tube is sufficiently small, then the combination of surface tension (which is caused by cohesion within the liquid) and adhesive forces between the liquid and container act to lift the liquid. In short, the capillary action is due to the pressure of cohesion and adhesion which cause the liquid to work against gravity."
I think the important point on this is the part about sufficiently small. Our tubing is not very small where talking cap tubes so I discount the capillary action.
This still seems to be getting a mixed reaction but I do not use a check valve any more. I'm told it won't work but find that it does. I'm told that the CO2 will be absorbed into the water and be gone but it doesn't so I continue. I find the trapped gas keeps the water from coming into those areas which are gas filled. It is obvious that it does require your tubing and fittings to be sealed so the gas doesn't exscape. When the gas leaks out, the water is free to move in.
Apparently we each have to try it and see what works.

I've been through a 20 pound tank of gas without a check valve so it seems to work for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts