The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I just saw this thread and I'm glad to see others attempting to try the Dutch scapes. It needs to stay relevant and not become a thing of the past. I don't think there is anything wrong with making a twist on the traditional Dutch style by using hard scape but to see someone attempting to keep it traditional is encouraging to say the least. I agree with Phil about letting it fill in and grow for awhile before deciding on final plant positions. I spent my first years in this hobby strictly growing different plants with no concern with regards to actually scaping anything. I helped me just to learn certain plants growth rates and habits. Keep at it and don't be afraid to move things around once they grow in and place them in better suited places.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I think it's looking really good. I wouldn't worry about trying to get the red to come out. Just focus on growing the plants well and if they are meant to be red it will happen. I have 3 different red colored bulbs in my fixture and that helps bring out the reds but it really depends on the plants. Some people try limiting certain ferts to bring reds out but I don't want other plants to suffer just for the sake of getting a plant to be more red.

How's the moss wall going?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
In a Dutch tank I don't think there is such a thing as trimming too often. I would actually trim your plants that are at the surface. It's hard to tell in the picture but the ones that look to be Rotala rotundifoila. I would trim them about halfway down and replant the tops next to them and with a couple more trimmings they will become bushier rather than just a tall stand of plants. I know what your saying about the moss getting intermixed within all your other plants. I have fissidens in my tank which is a little easier to maintain but I also have peacock moss which is a pain in my butt as it ends up floating around and getting in places I don't want it. Here's a decent video on trimming and maintenance on a Dutch style tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts