The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been fighting algae for months and it is driving me nuts. The tank has been up and running for about 6 months. Here are the particulars:
30gal long
Lighting: Marineland LED (I don't recall the model). It has 3 rows of LEDs and rins the length of the tank. Timer is on 12hours a day. No natural light exposure.
Filter: Fluval 206 canister filter. Filter floss and charcoal changed every two weeks
Fine gravel substrate
Fish: 11 green moss barbs (1.25" long), 3 khuli loachs, i bristle nosed pleco (4" long)
Pressurized CO2 installed about 3 weeks ago. Timed to come on 1 hour before lights turn on and go off 1 hour before lights turn off.
Medium plant load with amazon swords, wisteria, dwarf lilys, annubis, dwarf baby tears (just planted), microsword (just planted)
Since I installed the CO2, everything is growing like crazy, especially the lillys. All of the plants are pearling heavily and the fish so no signs of distress. The problem is that the algae is also pearling and growing like crazy. Photos are attached. WHAT AM I MISSING????

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
If that is a marineland planted led fixture then imo you have too much light in both par and duration. I suggest you raise the light up 12" and reduce the duration to 7 hours. You can increase the duration after algae is under control.

I would not trim the leaves but spot treat them with excel or h2o2.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Like they said raise the lights and cut down on photoperiod.I have 3 tanks one has never given me a problem,one has a little algae and the last one was an algae growing machine.I raised the lights 2"and it made a big difference I still get some algae but it is manageable.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I dose 15ml API leaf zone once a week right after the 20% water change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's what you are only dosing, I am afraid your tank may be missing important macro and micro nutrients like No3, Po4 and traces. Leaf zone includes just K and Fe, hence your situation. Your plants are probably starving and are prone to get algae.

I'd revise your dosing regime by adding some more comprehensive fertilizers (I'd suggest dry fertilizers or the Flourish line)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
This is not because of ferts but like many have said it's your lighting. Raise the lights up and reduce the period to 6-7 hours for a while.

Cut all heavily affected algae leaves and keep the tank clean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I have made three changes:
Decreased light duration and intensity.
Trimmed leaves that were beyond salvage and spot treating with H2O2
Added some oto cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.