The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started fishless cycling 2 weeks ago. The tank is 60 gallons with MGOPS capped with STS and fairly well stocked with plants. HOB and canister filters. Parameters are as follows:

Amm-0-.25
Nitrite-2.0ppm
Nitrate-0-5.0ppm
PH-6.8
KH-4 DKH
GH-71PPM

I have added tons of ammonia to this tank(a little more than 1/3 of a 2qt bottle over the course of 2 weeks) and it disappears within a day. Yesterday I changed about 40 percent of the water because the nitrites were close to 5ppm.

I will be away for 4 days Christmas week and will not be able to monitor the tank. Will I lose my cycle? Are there any steps I can take?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just completed cycling a smaller tank with pool sand, STS and plants.
If nitrates haven't peaked then I might be inclined to dosing some amm and letting it sit.
I'm pretty sure you could stall the cycle without ruining it by lowering your ph to 6.2 or so.
Only other thing I'd consider is an timer on lights to maintain plants.
other forum members would best give definitive answers.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've just completed cycling a smaller tank with pool sand, STS and plants.
If nitrates haven't peaked then I might be inclined to dosing some amm and letting it sit.
I'm pretty sure you could stall the cycle without ruining it by lowering your ph to 6.2 or so.
Only other thing I'd consider is an timer on lights to maintain plants.
other forum members would best give definitive answers.
Lowering the PH will result in slowly killing the nitribactor bacteria.
Nitribactor bacteria do the best in 90-100F water and a PH of around 7.5 - 8.

So if you want to speed up your cycle, up your temperature. I always cycle tanks at 90F

·
Registered
432 Posts
How many plants do you have in the tank? I ask because a tank heavily sticker with plants can completely cycle in a matter of hours, not weeks. Google search the walstad method. I've added plants and fish to a brand new tank on numerous occasions, and never had a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many plants do you have in the tank? I ask because a tank heavily sticker with plants can completely cycle in a matter of hours, not weeks. Google search the walstad method. I've added plants and fish to a brand new tank on numerous occasions, and never had a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The tank is pretty well stocked with plants IMO. I want to know why my PH is so low. I think that the low PH my be slowing down my bacteria.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
CORRECTION!!!! I just checked my PH and it is barely 6.0!! Why?
I have a bag of crushed oystershell and a cuttlebone in my Aquaclear110 for a few weeks now.
MGOCPM has peat and the breaking down of the organics will lower the pH and KH, especially with our soft NYC water. My suggestion to you is to add some baking soda to keep the KH up and to raise the pH. Try aiming for a pH of at least 7.5 to 8.0.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fishless Cycle

Hello to all I have a problem I been fishless cycling for over 2 weeks now my ammonia drops to zero in under 24 hours I have nitrates present but never nitrites what does this mean anybody please help me

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Shangrila, I would add some baking soda to raise the KH, and therefore the pH.
The bacteria that are most active in the aquarium nitrogen cycle get their carbon from carbonates, and do better when the pH is on the alkaline side of neutral.

You will not lose the bacteria by skipping feeding them for a few days, but I like the idea of "slow release" feeding: Let the tank break down the fish food.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.