The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just started a 29.9 gallon 36x12x18 about to move 6 inch large mouth bass, 3 1/2inch brown bullhead from a 20g? into it.been in old tank for several months. using sand from the Erie canal in both tanks. horn wort is anchored by rocks for temp plants they seam to be doing fine. want to use hydrilla or mill foil or Cryptocoryne Balansae for tall backround plants in front of that maybe dwarf hiar grass with brazilian penny wort and something else scattered about. i picked those from a list of 'easy' plants to grow. gonna try to up load picks soon...maybe let me know if i should use these plants or swap something out.would like to make it all native. :proud:

·
Registered
618 Posts
you CANNOT keep a largemouth bass and a bullhead catfish in a 29 gallon tank. you think fish this big can live in a 36" tank? :icon_mad:

the reason people don't keep native tanks is because the tank size needed for them is gigantic. i wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 200g tank, and ideally they need a pond.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i know im goin to need a bigger tank, i already got one in a buddys basement i just need to replace the back, and move it. but for now if i leave some open space for the bullhead to dig (wich i havent seen much of) will it leave the plants alone? i was thinking plants on the left rocks and a peice of drift wood on the right. where can i buy/order fish like that redbelly dace? no only "exotic" minnow i ever found was a log perch i thought was a walleye.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The bullhead won't purposely seek out to destroy your plants. As it looks for a place to hide or to get to food .It will push through,behind and around your plants uprooting them. So use plants the have good roots,that aren't fragile, and plant sparsely. Some native plants I have kept with bullhead have been Elodea Canadensis,Cabomba,Valisneria, and Sagittaria subulata.

Their are many smaller native fish that alot of people don't know of. When most people think native they think sunfish,bass, and catfish. But what about the many different and colorful darters,dace,shiners,and madtoms. Most of these can be kept in a twenty gallon tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.