The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, made the decision to go the dirt rout. I will be buying a bunch of Miracle Gro organic top soil and get the process going. Since I plan on getting my 75 set up in winter, I think it best to "mineralize" the top soil now, accumulate the remaining ingredients and store for when I am ready. I will cap the soil with Flourite black sand. Thanks to everyone here for sharing their thoughts and knowledge. I will let you know of my progress:proud:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just a quick comment on the mineralizing process. I just picked up some organic miracle grow, and there is a LOT more lumber in it than in regular old generic topsoil. Plus the miracle grow costs about three times as much. I mineralized some topsoil a while back, but I went the "fast" route. You can boil it for half an hour instead of soaking, drying, soaking, drying, etc. for weeks on end. But I think you will get a lot more dirt out of cheap topsoil then you will out of miracle grow. Don't get me wrong, there is still plenty of wood in topsoil, but probably half to a quarter of the amount in miracle grow.

--Just something to consider.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Moonshine, guess where I just came from??? Returning 6 unopened bags of Miracle Grow. No kidding the stuff is full of wood, moss, and who knows what. I bought 6 bags of $1.99 plain ol top soil and it looks real nice. Its not at all "loamy" like the other stuff. I am going to follow the procedure outlined in the sticky at the top of the page. I am in no hurry and I have a perfect spot to lay the dirt out and cook it. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
333 Posts
No prob on the miracle grow. I just realized yesterday how much of an UNDERSTATEMENT I made. I took a wire mesh and a very large Tupperware container to sift out all the wood from some miracle grow, and discovered there is NO dirt!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
No prob on the miracle grow. I just realized yesterday how much of an UNDERSTATEMENT I made. I took a wire mesh and a very large Tupperware container to sift out all the wood from some miracle grow, and discovered there is NO dirt!!
i had the same problem then when i used it on some outside tanks it smelled of pig poo....and if you've ever been around pigpoo, its potent to say the least im going to go ahead and try a different brand of dirt....:/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.